Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My school has changed to the new gcse system (where grading is now 9-1) and since each subject is becoming much harder they are convincing us ALL to take double award instead of the triple award for AQA science. My school is adamant that if you take the double award it will be easier to achieve the top grades and that it is already hard enough since a level topics are now on the new specification. However I don't understand how the triple award (which has more content) IS NOT going to be more beneficial in the future
    Anyone else's school changing to the new gcse? And if so, are you going to choose the double or triple award?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by razzy02)
    My school has changed to the new gcse system (where grading is now 9-1) and since each subject is becoming much harder they are convincing us ALL to take double award instead of the triple award for AQA science. My school is adamant that if you take the double award it will be easier to achieve the top grades and that it is already hard enough since a level topics are now on the new specification. However I don't understand how the triple award (which has more content) IS NOT going to be more beneficial in the future
    Anyone else's school changing to the new gcse? And if so, are you going to choose the double or triple award?
    Thanks
    Hi, I am an A Level student, but I know a bit about how my school is going around things. One thing is- they don't have any clue what the top grade is when it comes to marking as they don't know what sort of marks makes the highest grade. It seems they don't really know what is going on, so they are in constant correspondence with the exam boards to find out more. I know my school still makes everyone do triple science unless they get bad grades in their mocks in which case they recommend they do double science. Personally I think if you want to do science related A levels I would do triple, as it will be more beneficial in the long run, however if you don't intend to do anything science related in the future it shouldn't really matter whether you do double or triple, except you get one less GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    Triple should prepare you better for A level sciences.

If you get 1.5 x the teaching hours if you do triple, there should be no reason why you won't do just as well at triple as double.

But, you might be better at one or two of the three than the other. By doing double award you will average out the good and bad marks. Which would you prefer? a B and two Ds OR two Cs? (scale as appropriate)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.