The Student Room Group

Double or Triple Science?

My school has changed to the new gcse system (where grading is now 9-1) and since each subject is becoming much harder they are convincing us ALL to take double award instead of the triple award for AQA science. My school is adamant that if you take the double award it will be easier to achieve the top grades and that it is already hard enough since a level topics are now on the new specification. However I don't understand how the triple award (which has more content) IS NOT going to be more beneficial in the future
Anyone else's school changing to the new gcse? And if so, are you going to choose the double or triple award?
Original post by razzy02
My school has changed to the new gcse system (where grading is now 9-1) and since each subject is becoming much harder they are convincing us ALL to take double award instead of the triple award for AQA science. My school is adamant that if you take the double award it will be easier to achieve the top grades and that it is already hard enough since a level topics are now on the new specification. However I don't understand how the triple award (which has more content) IS NOT going to be more beneficial in the future
Anyone else's school changing to the new gcse? And if so, are you going to choose the double or triple award?

Even though I'm on the old spec, I do triple science so I could offer some advice. I personally have found that triple isn't that much harder than double. I'm on OCR 21st century and there's 1 extra unit (worth around 2 normal units) that only the triple people do. So about 80% of all the content is learnt by all the double people too. Also, I assume if you do double, you'll have to do 6 exams at the end of the 2 years instead of 3 each year. That means that if you do triple, you'll only have 3 extra exams, as opposed to the 6 I have. Basically, I don't see why you can't do triple if you want to do it and it's going to be beneficial to you. I'm sure you'll be fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest