Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My school has changed to the new gcse system (where grading is now 9-1) and since each subject is becoming much harder they are convincing us ALL to take double award instead of the triple award for AQA science. My school is adamant that if you take the double award it will be easier to achieve the top grades and that it is already hard enough since a level topics are now on the new specification. However I don't understand how the triple award (which has more content) IS NOT going to be more beneficial in the future
    Anyone else's school changing to the new gcse? And if so, are you going to choose the double or triple award?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by razzy02)
    My school has changed to the new gcse system (where grading is now 9-1) and since each subject is becoming much harder they are convincing us ALL to take double award instead of the triple award for AQA science. My school is adamant that if you take the double award it will be easier to achieve the top grades and that it is already hard enough since a level topics are now on the new specification. However I don't understand how the triple award (which has more content) IS NOT going to be more beneficial in the future
    Anyone else's school changing to the new gcse? And if so, are you going to choose the double or triple award?
    Thanks
    First of all the government is forcing the introduction of the new GCSEs in all schools.
    Secondly I do IGCSE in all 3 sciences as it's the most rigorous of all.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    Hello I've moved this to the general GCSE forum for you.

I did double award at GCSE and then went onto do A Level Physics and AS Chemistry. So based on my experience, I would say it doesn't really matter if you do double or triple because you can still do the same A Level subjects and the same courses at university.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    It doesn't matter if you take double or triple. If your good at science then they offer you triple and this depends on the school as well as some schools don't offer triple. Even with double being easier you can do A-Levels you'll just have 1 less GCSE than triple.

ReputationRep:
    I do triple science currently and tbh if you enjoy science I would recommend triple. Even if the exams are getting harder all you are doing is studying more science so it wouldn't really effect your results as long as you put effort in!
    If its anything like the new maths gcse its going to be a harder syllabus than the old GCSE but everyone else will be in the same boat as you!

ReputationRep:
    Just do Triple it's not that hard and it's worth the extra GCSE

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've already done both my core and add. GCSEs for science and I only have triple left this year; I think it's definitely worth it!! Although I didn't get much choice (x o x) on whether or not i wanted to do triple, i definitely dont resent it at all. the topics are all around more interesting imo (well im doing the old spec so i dont know how youre fairing with the new one) and c3 uses a lot of what you learn in the c2. (ive only just gotten on to physics haha) It's very linked and if you just connect the dots to the subject matter, you understand a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HapaxOromenon3)
    First of all the government is forcing the introduction of the new GCSEs in all schools.
    Secondly I do IGCSE in all 3 sciences as it's the most rigorous of all.
    Hi, are you still doing UKMT competitions? How did the IMC go?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.