Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Having difficulties in accommodation, anyone care enough to hear me out? watch

ReputationRep:
    I study Music Technology in Wales, too scared to say where.

How I got here -
    Basically I've been struggling with anxiety and depression for the longest time and after wrestling with college after 4 years of them not giving a crap about how much I was struggling, I managed to get into uni. With this I thought "oh great I'm a validated person now" so I booked some cheap accommodation after visiting the uni at an open day.

Here's how I got to that point -
    I've wanted to study Music Technology since my second year of college (I started with a Level 2 BTEC in Creative Media) but ended up studying Journalism which I regretted so much that my eyes bleed and my head hurts thinking about it... But then I was on the dole for about a month after gut wrenching, on the edge of suicide kinda results day. After that I got a part time job which I kept for the next year then went back to college for a HNC in Technical Theatre. Course was s**t and I was made to feel like it because of my difficulties.

Either way I got through that and now I'm studying full time, got no job and my living situation is awful. Used to live in a fairly big flat sorted out by my family but now I'm in halls. The halls are basically laid out like a prison, the staff are mostly corrupt and nosey, 90 percent of the people here are foreign and speak little English, I'm too scared to cook in my own kitchen because the people I'm with scare the hell out of me so I live off takeaways and I live facing the Sin City strip.

Living Conditions -
    Every night there's constant *****y R&B or Indian Music blasting out of Chav's cars, constant screaming arguments about God knows what and people getting arrested right from the "opposite of comfort" of my own "cell". It's douchebag after douchebag after God damn douchebag shouting at the town bike and I can't get a wink of sleep. Got bags under my eyes permanently. Kitchen's always a bomb site practically and I'm gonna lose my deposit because some nob'ead's left his grilled fish and rotten mangos in the pan for too long, which I don't really care about anyway.

What's gone on recently -
    Basically I failed a practical test because my motivation's down and my eyesight's crap (sorted it with glasses and I'm gonna force myself to be in the studio until I can regurgitate the test in my sleep) but also because I can't sleep and that leads to me not being able to concentrate in lectures.

I see counselling, got a mentor and just signed on to a work experience program. I've tried to sort out a change of room but every time I just feel ignored and not taken seriously by the accommodation people. I'm running low on ideas and terrified on what's gonna happen to me. Can anyone relate?

Sincerest apologies for such a long post, I hope the grim subject matter hasn't fogged up your day.

Have a good one whatever you're up to.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by WraithAnimated)

How I got here -
    Basically I've been struggling with anxiety and depression for the longest time and after wrestling with college after 4 years of them not giving a crap about how much I was struggling, I managed to get into uni. With this I thought "oh great I'm a validated person now" so I booked some cheap accommodation after visiting the uni at an open day.

I've wanted to study Music Technology since my second year of college (I started with a Level 2 BTEC in Creative Media) but ended up studying Journalism which I regretted so much that my eyes bleed and my head hurts thinking about it... But then I was on the dole for about a month after gut wrenching, on the edge of suicide kinda results day. After that I got a part time job which I kept for the next year then went back to college for a HNC in Technical Theatre. Course was s**t and I was made to feel like it because of my difficulties.

Either way I got through that and now I'm studying full time, got no job and my living situation is awful. Used to live in a fairly big flat sorted out by my family but now I'm in halls. The halls are basically laid out like a prison, the staff are mostly corrupt and nosey, 90 percent of the people here are foreign and speak little English, I'm too scared to cook in my own kitchen because the people I'm with scare the hell out of me so I live off takeaways and I live facing the Sin City strip.

Living Conditions -
    Every night there's constant sh**ty R&B or Indian Music blasting out of Chav's cars, constant screaming arguments about God knows what and people getting arrested right from the "opposite of comfort" of my own "cell". It's douchebag after douchebag after God damn douchebag shouting at the town bike and I can't get a wink of sleep. Got bags under my eyes permanently. Kitchen's always a bomb site practically and I'm gonna lose my deposit because some nob'ead's left his grilled fish and rotten mangos in the pan for too long, which I don't really care about anyway.

Basically I failed a practical test because my motivation's down and my eyesight's crap (sorted it with glasses and I'm gonna force myself to be in the studio until I can regurgitate the test in my sleep) but also because I can't sleep and that leads to me not being able to concentrate in lectures.

I see counselling, got a mentor and just signed on to a work experience program. I've tried to sort out a change of room but every time I just feel ignored and not taken seriously by the accommodation people. I'm running low on ideas and terrified on what's gonna happen to me. Can anyone relate?

Sincerest apologies for such a long post, I hope the grim subject matter hasn't fogged up your day.

I genuinely feel a bit sick reading this, you really need to get out of where you live and hopefully everything else solves itself after that.

How have you tried to sort out a change of room? Is there somewhere you can physically go into and demand a change of room? Or to keep phoning them up each day etc?

ReputationRep:
    I'm seeing someone from my uni's funding and welfare service tomorrow morning. But the problem is if I move anywhere else then I won't be able to afford the extra rent (I live in the cheapest place in town), I'm tied into a contract until September so I'll have to pay £600 of the last rent instalment (paid £2400 to them already) before I could leave so I'd be classed as "intentionally homeless" if I went to the council about it.

I feel like I've got a gun against my head if I make any attempts to get away..

ReputationRep:
    All student accommodation is noisy I have people praying in my kitchen 5 times a day.

Your accommodation situation doesn't sound too bad
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by WraithAnimated)

How I got here -

Living Conditions -
    Every night there's constant *****y R&B or Indian Music blasting out of Chav's cars, constant screaming arguments about God knows what and people getting arrested right from the "opposite of comfort" of my own "cell". It's douchebag after douchebag after God damn douchebag shouting at the town bike and I can't get a wink of sleep. Got bags under my eyes permanently. Kitchen's always a bomb site practically and I'm gonna lose my deposit because some nob'ead's left his grilled fish and rotten mangos in the pan for too long, which I don't really care about anyway.

Talk to your unis student support to see what they can do to help. They may be able to move you to another accommodation on site given your issues or help you find somewhere else. You may need a note from a doctor or something to give more support to what you are saying. You could also apply for DSA which may help you in general and again give you more support when you make requests based on you mh issues.

You may also want to invest in some good earplugs (I found was ones good) for blocking out the usual level of noise a bit. Maybe some noise cancelling headphones if you can.

One other thing that is worth mentioning. If it is not just the accommodation you are struggling with, but also your course you could always look into taking time out and changing course. You can also take something called a leave of absence if you want to take some time out to work on your health (and give you time to find another accommodation for when you get back) and go back to the same course.

If you aren't already I do suggest you talk to a doctor and look into things like therapy and maybe medication to help your mental health.

Hope that helps. I know how annoying accommodation can be so I really hope you can get it sorted somehow.

ReputationRep:
    Hey thanks for looking out for me, nice picture by the way! :3

I've got a bit of an update - my accommodation are letting me trial another room before I move into it properly. I didn't think I knew anyone in this block but it turns out I actually know a couple of guys in here. They're a loud bunch but I'm at the end of the hallway, I can't actually hear s**t! This is kind of a party block though and you can hear loads of crap music and shouting on a weekend but I'm gonna give this place a benefit of the doubt. I'm loving it already actually!

I'm also redoing that test this week along with studying it in the day during this week so I'm sure I'll be okay. My test is on Friday afternoon so I got all week to practice!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.