Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I was 17 when I applied & got the job and it was all fine up until an incident before one of my supervisors and a customer occurred, as I was a key witness, I had to write in enough detail which led to the supervisor being suspended. However, one of my other supervisors started being really really rude to me after and called me "little miss A* in English" and also stated that he had read my incident report. However, after I text him to ask when my shift was, I was shocked that I received no replies whatsoever due to the store not telling me about my shifts, I left it because my terms of engagement states there could be weeks of no work therefore as it was my first job and I am studying A levels that I have to cater for 5 days a week, I was unaware that I had to jump through certain hoops. I genuinely thought that I had been sacked because of the incident report upon the letter arriving to my house. I then made a greviance and was astonished that the shop said I had made myself unavailable. I thought it would be okay and they would apologise but afterwards Human Resources contacted me and said that it was my fault and I was to blame for the fact that my shifts weren't given to me, they also claimed that they didn't see why I didn't turn up to the store which was well over half an hour away from my home, I am in sixthform 5 days a week and alongside that, always seem to have never ending essays etc. They also said I was taught how to use the app on my induction which was not the case whatsoever. So I appealed against the outcome. Upon my appeal hearing, I was horrified at the way they spoke to me in comparison to how they spoke to me when I was accompanied by my mother. They blamed me, mocked me and even said that being called miss A* should be regarded as a compliment!!! Err not in the context it was said in. They said they tried to contact you to which I refuted by saying there's no way that's the case because I would've picked the phone up straight away. The Human Resources man was imsensly rude and it almost became an interrogation. Am I deluded or is the shop actually to blame?
    • TSR Support Team

(Original post by Sameeyab)
    So I was 17 when I applied & got the job and it was all fine up until an incident before one of my supervisors and a customer occurred, as I was a key witness, I had to write in enough detail which led to the supervisor being suspended. However, one of my other supervisors started being really really rude to me after and called me "little miss A* in English" and also stated that he had read my incident report. However, after I text him to ask when my shift was, I was shocked that I received no replies whatsoever due to the store not telling me about my shifts, I left it because my terms of engagement states there could be weeks of no work therefore as it was my first job and I am studying A levels that I have to cater for 5 days a week, I was unaware that I had to jump through certain hoops. I genuinely thought that I had been sacked because of the incident report upon the letter arriving to my house. I then made a greviance and was astonished that the shop said I had made myself unavailable. I thought it would be okay and they would apologise but afterwards Human Resources contacted me and said that it was my fault and I was to blame for the fact that my shifts weren't given to me, they also claimed that they didn't see why I didn't turn up to the store which was well over half an hour away from my home, I am in sixthform 5 days a week and alongside that, always seem to have never ending essays etc. They also said I was taught how to use the app on my induction which was not the case whatsoever. So I appealed against the outcome. Upon my appeal hearing, I was horrified at the way they spoke to me in comparison to how they spoke to me when I was accompanied by my mother. They blamed me, mocked me and even said that being called miss A* should be regarded as a compliment!!! Err not in the context it was said in. They said they tried to contact you to which I refuted by saying there's no way that's the case because I would've picked the phone up straight away. The Human Resources man was imsensly rude and it almost became an interrogation. Am I deluded or is the shop actually to blame?
    Where the heck did you work, it sounds like an absolutely appalling place to be.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't you already create the exact same thread a few months back which garnered a fair few replies?

Edit: Found the thread(s), didn't get as many replies as I thought although second thread had 2 pages of support.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4388606
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4410286

I'm guessing these two threads are about the same thing?

One thread said exactly the same thing as you have said here, although you deleted it, and another thread said you were sacked from your workplace, regarding the incident you mentioned. This was 2-3 months ago though and people have posted, providing you with means of support.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaredzzC)
    Didn't you already create the exact same thread a few months back which garnered a fair few replies?

Edit: Found the thread(s), didn't get as many replies as I thought although second thread had 2 pages of support.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4388606
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4410286

I'm guessing these two threads are about the same thing?

One thread said exactly the same thing as you have said here, although you deleted it, and another thread said you were sacked from your workplace, regarding the incident you mentioned. This was 2-3 months ago though and people have posted, providing you with means of support.
    Yes but there has been an update..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    Where the heck did you work, it sounds like an absolutely appalling place to be.
    OP was employed by Sports Direct. She told us in her previous threads.

ReputationRep:
    This sounds ****ed up. I doubt you'll ever get anything in your favour out of it though, unless you sue them (in which case they'll likely continue to close ranks and manufacture lies). "Little miss" could also be sexist, depending on the context.

But y'know, mess with a supervisor and they'll mess with you back. Even if you're right.

ReputationRep:
    Put the OP in a letter to Mike Ashley. "Dear Mr Fat,..."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    Put the OP in a letter to Mike Ashley. "Dear Mr Fat,..."
    Doesn't even need a name or address

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sameeyab)
    Sadly this sort of situation is far too common, in today's job marketplace. It is very much you and them. You did the right thing and presumably reported a senior member of staff for soketuing the shouldnt have happened. At least you can say you have your morals intact. There are far too many individuals who would've done nothing, and sucked upto seniority just out of fear for there job, or in the event that later down the line there is some promotion in the pipeline- they can look good.

This sort of situation always leads to the reportee feeling ostracised, as the people that liked your supervisor were undoubtedly on good terms with him/her. Its a sad state of affairs.

The company basically knows theyre in the wrong, and are stubbornly trying to protect there interests and company integrity out of fear of also facing the same treatment.

Companies nowadays use bullying tactics, scaremongerjng, and generally make your life miserable in many ways. They dont have to fire your discipline you. In fact, they cant, but the only way for them to get back at you is to be rude, insensitive and damn right unprofefessional.

They cant break rules or policy in order to get back at you so they use that very policy, your young naivety, misplaced trust and lack of moral support within the organisation to effectovely make your life hell.

Ive seen it been done, ive had it done and it isnt pretty or acceptable, but far too many tolerste it.

This firm is not going to give you a break until a.) you record it all b.) enlist and receove support from senior figure or external agency and c.) build a legal case to take to triburnial.

Problem is, there are financial costs associated (unless your a member of a union- even then they can be rubbish) and for you to successfully so you'd need to prove they said it and follow ACAs procesires. Or failing this hire a solictor which would cost you even more!

Employers know the financial burden of retribution, hence why they dont care.
    If you have wealthy parents they could help you to fight it legally. Technically your a whistleblower that os suffering victimisation and bullying in workplace.

I think that ultimately it might be worth contacting the company director or secretary with a stern email. Make it very clear youve followed procedures through the ranks, contacted HR and that you were rudely treated and your considering escalating the issue to external agencies and taking to a tribunal for your suffering and their unprofessionalism.

Dont expect them to be understanding, as they might well have same attitude as HR. However, you set the tone with them.

You then begin contacting relevant agencies to build your case. Citizens Advice, ACAS, Union rep, and or solicitor.

With enough firepower and threats of public publicity it might be enough. However hou may nedd to seek claims for damages.

More legislation needs to be introduced to fit dynamic cases of discrimination, bullying and victimisation.

I thobk fhey will make your life hell if you dont take action. Either drive you to stress related illness, and y have to leave, or theyll phase you out and give you no hours.

I wish you well and a fhe best in your decision

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 14, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.