Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What are you going to do with your degree? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)
    Well good for you but the point is doing something that will help you stand out. I don't know what engineering is like but with most other courses, having a 2:1 or even a first isn't enough anymore. Everyone has them. You need something to make you stand out and bulk up your CV.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That depends on person then. I am not communicative at all and don't have social life at all, so my degree is useless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Recont)
    MEng Automotive Engineering
    I see I'm doing maths

ReputationRep:
    Wipe my arse with it?

ReputationRep:
    Create automatic binary option algorithms on the stock market with my dodgy mates from the local.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Do you think you will find use for your degree or it was waste of time.

With each subsequent year at uni I realise that it is unlikely to find a job...
    trying to get into FO banking, but also eyeing gigs at top tech firms a lot more recently.

who knows really, if neither work out (and I don't get at least 1 bite across different app cycles for tech, consulting or banking) probably gonna end up on some generic grad scheme somewhere

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)
    They may not have seen your CV but you did do other things. And 'practicng the process involved in getting a job' is doing something.

I was talking about the idiots who seem to especially circulate TSR who go to university looking down on everyone who does anything apart from studying 24/7, get no internships/aren't part of societies etc. and then think that they are guranteed a job when they graduate just because they got a first. And then they come back onto TSR whinging that they can't even get a job serving food. Because all they have done is focus on their degree and not develop any other skills.
    heavily dislike these type of people

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    heavily dislike these type of people

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Then you must dislike me

ReputationRep:
    Do you think you will find use for your degree or it was waste of time.

With each subsequent year at uni I realise that it is unlikely to find a job...
    I want to go into finance (hopefully asset management or a hedge fund), but it is hard to get into so I also have a back up plan of working in accounting. I study economics.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't learn much from my degree to be honest. I studied something I was good at and had practiced and researched in my own time for years. Attending uni just seemed to validate me rather than teaching me something new. If I ever do anything with it I doubt it would have been any different than what I might have done without it.

I now study science and it feels a lot more rewarding: I'm actually learning new things and I finally feel like I'm getting something out of education.

ReputationRep:
    Get into research....... So yeah I need my degree for that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sinfonietta)
    I didn't learn much from my degree to be honest. I studied something I was good at and had practiced and researched in my own time for years. Attending uni just seemed to validate me rather than teaching me something new. If I ever do anything with it I doubt it would have been any different than what I might have done without it.

I now study science and it feels a lot more rewarding: I'm actually learning new things and I finally feel like I'm getting something out of education.
    From my point of view degree is a proof that you are able to learn subject you've studied.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.