Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help!! My friend grows bacteria!! ;( How am i gna live with him??? Watch

ReputationRep:
    This scenario is happening at uni and im stressed. ;(!!!

So basically yh... we agreed that myself and my other mate are going to move in with this friend (we'll call him X) and made this plan 2 month ago. However, we were told by X's flat mate that he is the flatmate from HELL!! he leaves food in the kitchen for 3 weeks to the point where blue bacteria grows on it like wtf.. he doesnt wash his dishes and when he does, he merely wipes it and puts it away... furthermore, he takes up 95% of the freezer... and the rest of the 5 flat mates have to share the rest of the fridge... when they confront X about this, he says hes busy and gets confrontational. X's flatmate has said we can move in with him, but we dont wana snake X as hes a cool guy. I cant deal with bacterial colonies in our kitchen... and as for the toilet, lets not mention that. And dont get me started on X's flatmates protein powder. He only said he can borrow some of the powder. A normal person would borrow a scoop or two max, he decided to use the whole 40kilo bag in one day... (exaggeration but it was finished lol)... someone help us wat shall we do. even if he promises hes gna not do it i dont wana get tied down in a year long rental contract. Appreciate the help. thanks

ReputationRep:
    Well.... the truth is that he's probably not going to change, tbh. First of all remember what you like about this guy and why you chose him to be one of your roommates. Then, it is important to establish ground rules from the very beginning. Tell him what you've heard. It is probably better to go ahead and have a calm conversation with him early on instead of confronting him when you've gotten cross and he's gotten defensive. You can also tell him that you are going to tell him that he needs to clean up if he does. Then you and your other flatmate will have to discuss, behind the scenes, what your going to do when/if that actually happens and he doesn't clean up after himself. Will you clean his dishes before they they grow mold? Will put his dishes away? The other thing to consider is that cleanliness habits of the former roommate. Is he/she a neat freak? Does everything constantly have to be out of sight? Some of the strain could be from the other roommates expectation. Again, though, remind yourself what you like about your future roommate and think about his redeeming qualities. Hopefully he's more aware of the need to do his part when living with others in a flat.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 14, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.