Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is the female body designed to run? Watch

A guy has said to me several times that the female body isnt designed to physically run due to the wide pelvis etc. Im female and enjoy running but he must have got this opinion from somewhere. He is better than me at longer distance say 3 mile but im faster than him at sprinting (50m and 100m) so surely my body must be better designed for sprinting than him? I get what he's saying about the female body in general males are faster but females can still be fast. Just wanted opinions
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, they are. Away from ****ers like him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    A guy has said to me several times that the female body isnt designed to physically run due to the wide pelvis etc. Im female and enjoy running but he must have got this opinion from somewhere. He is better than me at longer distance say 3 mile but im faster than him at sprinting (50m and 100m) so surely my body must be better designed for sprinting than him? I get what he's saying about the female body in general males are faster but females can still be fast. Just wanted opinions
    The dude is wrong. Female bodies are just as good at running. Certain types of running are easier if you're, others easier for females.

There are female endurance runners who can outrun male competitors. Maybe your dude is trying to put you off 'coz he can't handle female competition?

ReputationRep:
    You are taking up running because you enjoy it. Ignore the competitive ********s trying to undermine you, they'll give up as soon as they lose many races in a row, I tell you

ReputationRep:
    The average male is faster than the average female, sure there are outliers like you but all you need to do is look at the world records for sprinting, female 10.49 seconds and male 9.58 seconds, in fact look at pretty much every single running record and you will see men hold the record

no need to be politically correct, it's science and facts

ReputationRep:
    Ya same, I'm more of a sprinter. Zero stamina tbh.

Spoiler:
    Show

Except when it comes to running from my responsibilities. That's a race I've been running for years.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, the guy who likes to play one upmanship with women stereotype.

He is welcome to come along to the upcoming Kielder ultra. It would be interesting to see if he can keep up with the 40-something year old women over the 62 miles.

(Original post by ThePricklyOne)
    The dude is wrong. Female bodies are just as good at running. Certain types of running are easier if you're, others easier for females.

There are female endurance runners who can outrun male competitors. Maybe your dude is trying to put you off 'coz he can't handle female competition?
    Ok, it might not be that females are 'not designed to run' (or it might be), but "Female bodies are just as good at running" is just silly and idealistic. It is indisputable fact that men are in general better at running (and virtually every physical activity for that matter). And no, a select few examples of women who are better than most men do not serve to disprove this fact at all.

(Original post by thatgr)
    The average male is faster than the average female, sure there are outliers like you but all you need to do is look at the world records for sprinting, female 10.49 seconds and male 9.58 seconds, in fact look at pretty much every single running record and you will see men hold the record

So if you like science and facts how does all that mean that females are not designed for running, expecially if there are outliers, this is all i was asking.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone with a pair of legs is designed to run.

ReputationRep:
    Sure, there is plenty of evidence that the male body is better equipped for most/all physical activities but in no way does that mean women can't run, or that they're not "designed" to.

"The female body isn't designed to run" is a pretty ****ing stupid statement.

ReputationRep:
    The female body is designed to do many things, running however? That's debatable. If she's running to do shopping or get the kids, then the design is being utilised to its best. If she's running because she wants to and hasn't been told to, there's an issue and a breach of design.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatgr)

That only shows that male are faster, not that female aren't capable of running. You took the wrong conclusion. Also, those records held by women are still beyond the average for both males and women.

The reason for men being faster is simply due to muscle mass and a larger portion of fast twitch muscle, allowing them to generate farr more force; speed; and generate more energy.

Males certainly do have a lot of biological advantages, but non of it proves whatsoever that women are incapable of running.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Does he also think that females belong in the kitchen?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Ok, it might not be that females are 'not designed to run' (or it might be), but "Female bodies are just as good at running" is just silly and idealistic. It is indisputable fact that men are in general better at running (and virtually every physical activity for that matter). And no, a select few examples of women who are better than most men do not serve to disprove this fact at all.
    It is not fact.

Once upon a time, the universal view was that women couldn't run or do any sports. It's women who changed that by doing what everyone said couldn't be done.

If you have zip aspirations for yourself or for the females in your life, be my guest.

But don't shut the door on everyone else by telling lies.

If I have a kid, & its a girl, I'd tell her to aim for the skies.

(Original post by ThePricklyOne)
    It is not fact.

Once upon a time, the universal view was that women couldn't run or do any sports. It's women who changed that by doing what everyone said couldn't be done.

If you have zip aspirations for yourself or for the females in your life, be my guest.

But don't shut the door on everyone else by telling lies.

If I have a kid, & its a girl, I'd tell her to aim for the skies.
    Good for you; I don't care though since none of that is relevant to my point.

Men are generally better at physical activities, including running. Fact.

ReputationRep:
    Males are generally built a bit better for sprinting. This, however, means nothing outside of competitive sport and in no way means women can't or shouldn't run, in the slightest.

(Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Males are generally built a bit better for sprinting. This, however, means nothing outside of competitive sport and in no way means women can't or shouldn't run, in the slightest.
    You're completely right, except that 'a bit' is a pretty big understatement.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like he's just butthurt because you're a better sprinter than him.

There's nothing like getting the chauvinism battered out of you by a girl at a mixed gender mma class.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. They were designed that way so they can run with all their shopping to the kitchen where they would then make their husbands, who are sitting by the TV at the time, a sandwich. What a stupid question...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.