Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"University is easier than A Levels!" Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing a levels at the moment and my history teacher says that the history a level teaches content on par with undergraduate level (she lectured at uni before teaching a levels). I'm dreading university because I'm pretty sure it's way harder than she says it is and I honestly have no idea what it's like...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StevetheIcecube)
    I'm doing a levels at the moment and my history teacher says that the history a level teaches content on par with undergraduate level (she lectured at uni before teaching a levels). I'm dreading university because I'm pretty sure it's way harder than she says it is and I honestly have no idea what it's like...
    A lot of people keep saying that History at undergraduate level is on par in difficulty with A Level History They say the only thing that is difficult is referencing

ReputationRep:
    I'm 3rd year Biochemistry student and uni is wayyyy easier for me than school was.
    Also I think that learning something from scratch is harder than expanding your knowledge on something you already know. (In a way... I can't really explain it though.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshEntropy)
    I heard that if allowed international students to "study" for fake-non-existant degrees so that they could just get a full time job and pretend they were studying, is that true?
    No I don't think it actually ever did any of that... but it fell foul of the tightened regulations introduced to shut the fake colleges that were running immigration scams because it wouldn't do the paperwork... because of the Wolfe Smiths.

itv documentary (2013) about the fake colleges
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qop0UtWkEq0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    Yes, I know, I'm not American

Probably business degrees - they're widely taken by so many people, and they all end up with at least a 2:1.

Generally speaking, the more mathematical the degree, the harder it is - and I known people will state that it depends on the person, but look at the national statistics and see how piss-poor the GCSE maths pass rate is.

Theoretical physics is probably the hardest thing there is
    One of my friends did a Master's in theoretical physics a few years ago, he said the reason he did his Master's in that is because pure mathematics was too hard for him. Pure maths is, by far, the hardest thing to learn.

That said, after graduating he got a job in finance and after working there for 2 years or so he came across his dissertation in his room and he said he didn't understand a single part of it. There were symbols in there that he swore he had never seen before .

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Have you heard this? I've heard people say this. Surprisingly, I heard it from teachers too..

Now, I can only speak on behalf of BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science - and all I can say is, that is a load of absolute tosh.
    Hi, I'm a year 12 currently doing my A levels and I think I want to do a biomedical science degree. I can already foresee that university will be muuuucccchhhhh harder than A level.

I was wondering, which parts of the degree do you enjoy the most? And if you don't mind, what is your dream job after completing your degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaylaB)
    Yup, I can confirm the same from my experience. I'm doing Chemistry BSc, but it also depends on the modules.

Like year some modules like the maths ones are just for catching everyone up to the same level, so for example to me it's easy. The change in terms of the course difficulty started on gradually but now is just leaps.
    Hi,

I was interested in the fact you were doing a Chemistry Bsc, I was actually thinking of pursuing one myself however i'm not to sure about the career prospects, if its not too forward i would like to ask what your thinking of doing after completing your degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munchjin)
    Hi, I'm a year 12 currently doing my A levels and I think I want to do a biomedical science degree. I can already foresee that university will be muuuucccchhhhh harder than A level.

I was wondering, which parts of the degree do you enjoy the most? And if you don't mind, what is your dream job after completing your degree?
    Hi there,

I really really enjoy my course so far - my favourite module is Introductory Biochemistry. I really like how everything is tightly knit together and everything comes together nicely as you learn it. Like, what you learn in separate modules will overlap and it's very satisfying when you get the full picture rather than little snip-its (like at A Level).

My dream job is a Biomedical Scientist, but if I don't become one, I'd love to be a Biology teacher.

Here are the modules that we do on my course:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jassy16)
    Hi,

I was interested in the fact you were doing a Chemistry Bsc, I was actually thinking of pursuing one myself however i'm not to sure about the career prospects, if its not too forward i would like to ask what your thinking of doing after completing your degree?

Sorry to be of absolutely no use, I don't know what I'm going to do :blush:

ReputationRep:
    Become a Chemistry teacher!

ReputationRep:
    Kayla White - create meth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Breakingbank)
    Kayla White - create meth
    :shh::shh:
    Although I did find this suspicious container in labs a couple of months ago :beard:
    Spoiler:
    Show

It was on one of the weeks we made crystals too :laugh::innocent:

ReputationRep:
    I have graduated with 79.88% in Biochemistry from a Russell Group last year.

Learning the content at university was harder than A level due to the amount of information and the time limit. You also need to deal with living away and the unforgiving nature of university study i.e. plagiarism, marks awarded on first try only etc. There is a reason why alot of people breakdown during uni. However, the exams are easier than A level because the exams are written by the same people who lectures you. There were no stupid questions that you get in A level, in fact the questions are straight forward. Also, you might get exam hints from lecturers and students from the upper years.

Obviously... different universities (especially Oxbridge) will vary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 06moca1)
    I have graduated with 79.88% in Biochemistry from a Russell Group last year.
    Wow that's really really good!

ReputationRep:
    Wow that's really really good!
    Thanks. It wasn't easy. I started waking up at 5am to revise and went to bed by 11pm during 1st and 2nd year. I was pretty strict with myself.

I did play it tactically however. I got really high percentages in 1st and 2nd year. By the time I reached 3rd year, all I needed was 60.3% for a 1st overall.

ReputationRep:
    depends on the uni you go to really

getting a 2:1 from a university like Greenwich where 70% of students get 1st isn't gonna be harder than A levels if you're trying to get As-A*s

I struggled at university alot and was on the verge of dropping out because I couldn't handle the works, things worked out in the end though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 06moca1)
    However, the exams are easier than A level because the exams are written by the same people who lectures you.
    One of my lecturers gave us a subtle heads up to small parts of the content of the final exam. He'd go through the powerpoint and say "I'd pay extra attention to this bit" *wink,wink, nudge, nudge* :rofl: Bit of motivation to turn up to lectures as he'd only make the subtle hint once.

ReputationRep:
    If I hear any uni Maths students saying that I'd probably uppercut them.

Which uni course is this? Looks quite interesting. The only reason I didn't take Biology was mostly due to the practicals, and also not enough human biology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    If I hear any uni Maths students saying that I'd probably uppercut them.

Which uni course is this? Looks quite interesting. The only reason I didn't take Biology was mostly due to the practicals, and also not enough human biology.
    BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS) & Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC).

It's very very interesting, I love it! It's a shame you didn't take Biology - have you taken Chemistry? Most universities will let you in if you took Chemistry instead

ReputationRep:
    BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS) & Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC).

It's very very interesting, I love it! It's a shame you didn't take Biology - have you taken Chemistry? Most universities will let you in if you took Chemistry instead
    Nope didn't take Chemistry. Hated Chemistry with a passion at school. Though, I'm quite relieved I chose to do Maths (I initially wanted to go through the Biology route and get into Bionics research).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.