Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"University is easier than A Levels!" Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abramovic)
    It really depends on the course, I think.

For instance, I do a degree in French & Philosophy and even though it is not easy, studying subjects that you are passionate about makes it so much easier to do so. The workload is a lot higher (I go to KCL), so efficient planning is definitely necessary. With a degree like mine, you have to read continuously, otherwise you will have missed about 60 pages of reading after one day already.
    French & Philosophy? That's an interesting combination!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    Lets take a moment to consider the suffering done by those at postgraduate level....

oooh, where can I find a full version of that? Practically salivating...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke7456)
    Did you read ahead into year 2 to try and maintain a lead? That's what I would have done in that spot did you get a first for year 1?
    No, there was so much else going on that I just focused on getting the best I could in my first year, which paid off cause I got a first

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    oooh, where can I find a full version of that? Practically salivating...
    There is an interactive version available here ...

http://biochemical-pathways.com/#/map/1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    There is an interactive version available here ...

http://biochemical-pathways.com/#/map/1
    Thank you. I"m going to feast on it.

ReputationRep:
    First semester was harder than A levels, definitely (Econ degree).

70% (First) is more of a stretch than 90% (A*) at A level. The reason varies, but some of my lecturers for instance don't award higher than 70%, so the highest achievable is a scraped First.

Also, my uni has an assessment feedback report that has statistics of grades from previous years for each module. One of my modules for second semester says that only 2% of 200 students achieved a First, and the entry requirements are AAA/AAB, so it's not as though the cohort doesn't know how to do well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exceptional)
    2% of 200 students achieved a First
    4 out of 200 people? Wow!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Doing Civil Engineering, materials and mathematics is very similar to stuff I've done in the past or is at a relatively easy level minus a few complex topics. Though statics final topic is far harder than mechanics in physics and fluid mechanics first half was a nightmare. Considering first year is getting people to the same level and isn't part of the grade... lol no A levels is not easier.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.