Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Right, so basically my mother decided that it'd be "best" for me if she home educated me, fair enough, except she's an American and never made the effort to understand our schools and how they work.

What I was wondering is, when do I start GCSEs, who's involved with it, and how well/how many GCSEs would I need to get into a decent university so that I can obtain an undergraduate degree and gain a QTS so that I could become an NQT and start my induction year?

Obviously I'm thinking rather far into the future, but I'd like to have everything planned out in advance.

A few notes:

I'd like to study to be a teacher preferably of KS3 or KS4 in the fields of Biology, Physics and ICT.

I'm currently living in the north east of England (South Yorkshire, to be specific), but wouldn't mind travelling down the the south east, as that's where I'd hope to end up anyway.

Thank you,
    Graham

ReputationRep:
    I can't say I know for your specific subjects (I'm applying for history and economics) and I don't know how you'd do all three but it all depends on what you count as a decent university and the course you go for. I'd estimate that for your average universities (Huddersfield, Keele etc), you need C/Bs at GCSE and for non-Russell group city universities like Manchester Met you need to average Bs. For your average Russell Group university however you should be averaging A/Bs at GCSE and unlike other universities, they will place emphasis upon GCSEs. However, what really matters for all unis is predicted A-Level grades and you need your GCSEs to be good enough to allow your predicteds to equal the course requirements.

ReputationRep:
    Usually people start their GCSE courses in Year 10 (ages 14-15), and complete them in Year 11 (ages 15-16), in May and June, although some places start the courses in Year 9 (for example, my school started us on the Core Science modules).

Generally, the core syllabus for GCSEs is Maths, English Language, English Literature, and Science (you can do Core(worth 1 GCSE), Additional (worth 2 GCSEs) or Triple (worth 3 GCSEs, with each grade being for the individual field, i.e. Chemistry, Biology, Physics)).

I think it's recommended that you take at least 8 or 9 subjects for GCSE, and most sixth forms etc. require 5 GCSEs A*-C (or possibly something like 9-4 because the grading system is changing), including Cs or 4/5s in English Language and English Literature.

Sorry if I was stating the obvious for you- I wasn't sure how much you knew about GCSEs

ReputationRep:
    Oh, thanks for your reply, it was very helpful!

ReputationRep:
    I was homeschooled until I went to college, if you have any questions let me know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackieox)
    I was homeschooled until I went to college, if you have any questions let me know
    Oh yeah, actually, how did you do you're GCSEs? I've done a little Googling and I could only find links to AQA which from what I can gather is an examination board, but there website is a bit weird so I couldn't understand them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GrahamDavies)
    Oh yeah, actually, how did you do you're GCSEs? I've done a little Googling and I could only find links to AQA which from what I can gather is an examination board, but there website is a bit weird so I couldn't understand them.
    I did IGCE's at a private centre..(They weren't cheap though) AQA is an exam board but you also have Edexcel, OCR... I think most of mine were Edexcel..

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm in yr11 and have been home educated all my life, and have done 5 GCSEs so far. You will need at least 7 GCSEs to get into a decent sixth form or college, and achieve A/B grades to be able to take the subjects you want to at A-level.

When taking your exams, contact a school and ask whether they will allow you to sit your exams there as an external candidate.
    You can hire a tutor to help you with certain subjects, but if you decide to do some on your own make sure you choose an exam board for the subject you want to study, print off the specification, buy the special exam board text-books for that subject, and then work your way through the course, and practice as many past papers as possible.
    At school, you would take your GCSEs in yr11, however I took 2 in yr9, 3 in yr 10 and now 4 this summer. So it really depends how ready you feel you are. I found that taking exams bit by bit spread out the pressure a lot, which was really helpful.

I hope I've been of some help, and I am happy to answer any other questions

ReputationRep:
    Hello Jackieox. Thank you for offering your help. My daughter is 13 now and we decided to home educate her which I am comfortable with.She is a good student and very independent already.My only fear is, how she is going to do GCSE because i don't really understand the system. Can you pls tell me how have you done your GCSE?Did you go College to take it or else? Did your parents had to pay for it and how did they arrange for you to take the exams? I hope you can understand me ...sorry...My regards Krisztina.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.