Turn on thread page Beta

A levels to University watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Is it a very big jump from A levels to medicine at university? If so which in particular modules require more attention. I heard that many med students find it easier to study at university as compared to when they were studying A levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bryan Appu)
    Is it a very big jump from A levels to medicine at university? If so which in particular modules require more attention. I heard that many med students find it easier to study at university as compared to when they were studying A levels.
    It's a big jump in terms of volume - there's a lot more to learn and remember.

It's not a particularly big jump in terms of difficulty - they're not teaching you highly advanced theoretical physics. In terms of difficulty, it's probably slightly harder than A levels, but not really that much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    It's a big jump in terms of volume - there's a lot more to learn and remember.

It's not a particularly big jump in terms of difficulty - they're not teaching you highly advanced theoretical physics. In terms of difficulty, it's probably slightly harder than A levels, but not really that much.
    If you don't mind me asking, which uni did to apply to and how's the teaching quality there like are there any notes provided or it is primarily focused on self study?

ReputationRep:
    There's a lot more to learn, the quantity of work you do at medical school is far more than in your A Levels. I find that anatomy takes a lot of time to learn as does a lot of the physiology and pharmacology we cover, but it differs between people.
    I think what makes it slight easier (for me anyway) is that I'm interested in the topics whereas with A Levels not all aspects of the syllabus may be interesting to you so it makes revision a little more tedious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I found it a pretty big jump. A-levels were easy by comparison, and i did 5 of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emem2011)
    There's a lot more to learn, the quantity of work you do at medical school is far more than in your A Levels. I find that anatomy takes a lot of time to learn as does a lot of the physiology and pharmacology we cover, but it differs between people.
    I think what makes it slight easier (for me anyway) is that I'm interested in the topics whereas with A Levels not all aspects of the syllabus may be interesting to you so it makes revision a little more tedious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I do agree with you that some A levels topics can be a bit boring whereas at university more things to learn which could be very interesting. Thx for the feedback anyways!
    If you don't mid me asking which university did you apply to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    I found it a pretty big jump. A-levels were easy by comparison, and i did 5 of them.
    I see. Which university did you apply to and how's the teaching like there if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    I do agree with you that some A levels topics can be a bit boring whereas at university more things to learn which could be very interesting. Thx for the feedback anyways!
    If you don't mid me asking which university did you apply to?
    No problem! I'm at Cardiff University currently and the course is brilliant!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.