Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi going to university in september, would people recommend halls or self accommodation?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie717)
    Hi going to university in september, would people recommend halls or self accommodation?
    Heya, which uni is this for? It may be useful to get uni specific advice.

I'd recommend trying halls once, if you don't like it.. can swap with other accommodations... quick way to get to know a number of people, probably has all bills inclusive, probably very close to uni.. it's a dream
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I would generally recommend halls in first year - it's what the majority of freshers will be doing and it's a very easy way to meet new people and make friends. Also, it tends to be run by the university or a company in close contact with the university, so any issues tend to get solved quickly (e.g. maintenance problems, moving rooms, etc.). If you go for renting a house, you'll have to deal with all the stress of bills, cleaning, maintenance (/calling up your landlord and trying to persuade them to fix stuff), etc. - not to mention that you are unlikely to know your flatmates well since it would be our first year at uni and you hadn't met before, they may turn out to be SUPER messy or noisy or just not your type of people.

That being said, if you want cheaper accommodation, no-one nicking your food from the kitchen, some peace and quiet, etc. it may be worth looking into private accommodation, in particular consider renting just a single room in a house (e.g. many families when their kids leave home rent out their new spare rooms) since then you don't have to put up with the chaos of other students. This is only really a great option for relatively antisocial/ mature people though, most students prefer the social party atmosphere of halls.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your reply i will definitely take all of this on board! it is a great help! I also have my boyfriend who already has a degree so won't be able to get the funding for halls, however he is going to be doing a PGCE at the same time as i will be doing a teaching degree. He will be getting accommodation. The hard decision is to either live with him in a flat together or go into halls at the university.

(Original post by dragonkeeper999)
    I would generally recommend halls in first year - it's what the majority of freshers will be doing and it's a very easy way to meet new people and make friends. Also, it tends to be run by the university or a company in close contact with the university, so any issues tend to get solved quickly (e.g. maintenance problems, moving rooms, etc.). If you go for renting a house, you'll have to deal with all the stress of bills, cleaning, maintenance (/calling up your landlord and trying to persuade them to fix stuff), etc. - not to mention that you are unlikely to know your flatmates well since it would be our first year at uni and you hadn't met before, they may turn out to be SUPER messy or noisy or just not your type of people.

That being said, if you want cheaper accommodation, no-one nicking your food from the kitchen, some peace and quiet, etc. it may be worth looking into private accommodation, in particular consider renting just a single room in a house (e.g. many families when their kids leave home rent out their new spare rooms) since then you don't have to put up with the chaos of other students. This is only really a great option for relatively antisocial/ mature people though, most students prefer the social party atmosphere of halls.

ReputationRep:
    It is for chichester university or marjon university.

Thank you! that is a great help!

(Original post by SeanFM)
    Heya, which uni is this for? It may be useful to get uni specific advice.

I'd recommend trying halls once, if you don't like it.. can swap with other accommodations... quick way to get to know a number of people, probably has all bills inclusive, probably very close to uni.. it's a dream

ReputationRep:
    I would spend one year in university halls. It's a good experience and an easy middle step to living independently (as bills etc are included). I lived privately and it was much harder to make friends. You can plan to move in with your boyfriend the following year but I would spend one year in halls first - you have the bonus that if you don't like your flatmates for any reason you can just go stay with your boyfriend.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your reply i will definitely take all of this on board! it is a great help! I also have my boyfriend who already has a degree so won't be able to get the funding for halls, however he is going to be doing a PGCE at the same time as i will be doing a teaching degree. He will be getting accommodation. The hard decision is to either live with him in a flat together or go into halls at the university.
    You're welcome

Hmmm, the boyfriend does complicate the debate a bit. Are you both very close and committed? If so, a flat could be a good option - more personal space than halls, less annoying flatmates eating your food/ making a mess, and probably cheaper. However, I would advice you to make sure you have an option if you and your bf end up splitting up - I've heard of several people who broke up during the year and those who had made sure they had a two bed flat (so didn't have to sleep together/ on the sofa!) or lived separately (e.g. you in halls) coped a lot better which that potentially very awkward situation. That's not to say that's going to happen though! I guess the main thing to consider though is if you'd prefer the social life of halls - after all, you'll need to make some new friends other than your bf and halls is an easy way to do so.

I hope it all works out

ReputationRep:
    that is a big help! thank you very much!

(Original post by dragonkeeper999)
    You're welcome

Hmmm, the boyfriend does complicate the debate a bit. Are you both very close and committed? If so, a flat could be a good option - more personal space than halls, less annoying flatmates eating your food/ making a mess, and probably cheaper. However, I would advice you to make sure you have an option if you and your bf end up splitting up - I've heard of several people who broke up during the year and those who had made sure they had a two bed flat (so didn't have to sleep together/ on the sofa!) or lived separately (e.g. you in halls) coped a lot better which that potentially very awkward situation. That's not to say that's going to happen though! I guess the main thing to consider though is if you'd prefer the social life of halls - after all, you'll need to make some new friends other than your bf and halls is an easy way to do so.

I hope it all works out

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.