The Student Room Group

Degree or Apprenticeship?

Hi,

Some background: I just dropped out of term 2 of a computer science degree, I really didn't enjoy it as I thought I would and this has led me to have thoughts of an apprenticeship.

Im currently stuck in a situation where I have to pick between doing another degree (Like business or hospitality) or an apprenticeship. I feel that I am obliged to do a degree since it will allow me to have opportunities to work abroad and not just in the UK (looking far into the future where I would like to work abroad). But at the same time, I am not so great at studying and thus think that a apprenticeship may be worth a look at.

Does not having a degree close off as many doors in life as people say they do? Or am I being stupid?
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
bump
Original post by fluxanda
Hi,

Some background: I just dropped out of term 2 of a computer science degree, I really didn't enjoy it as I thought I would and this has led me to have thoughts of an apprenticeship.

Im currently stuck in a situation where I have to pick between doing another degree (Like business or hospitality) or an apprenticeship. I feel that I am obliged to do a degree since it will allow me to have opportunities to work abroad and not just in the UK (looking far into the future where I would like to work abroad). But at the same time, I am not so great at studying and thus think that a apprenticeship may be worth a look at.

Does not having a degree close off as many doors in life as people say they do? Or am I being stupid?

You still have to study on an apprenticeship and you won't make as much unless you find a really good apprenticeship which is also very competitive.
Reply 4
Original post by Kravence
You still have to study on an apprenticeship and you won't make as much unless you find a really good apprenticeship which is also very competitive.

Surely an apprenticeship would be "easier" as you would be applying your knowledge to practical aspects of the business.

Is the studying in an apprenticeship like a degree level?
Surely an apprenticeship would be "easier" as you would be applying your knowledge to practical aspects of the business.

Is the studying in an apprenticeship like a degree level?

No however I suspect would be between A level and Degree
Reply 6
Get a job. It will provide you with a more sound idea of exactly where your career interests lie. From that stance you will have a better idea of whether a degree or apprenticeship is a better suited approach to the qualifications you will need for the role you aspire to.

The risk of jumping into another degree is wasting your funded years of study. Whilst an apprenticeship will provide you with work experience it will be a waste of the employers time if you decide you do not like the field of work part way through, and will not look all that great on your employment history without some creative tweaking and explanation of your reference for another partially completed course.
Hi,

A degree isn't going to help you work abroad in either business or hospitality any more than an apprenticeship and experience is.

You need to think about what sort of job you want to do for the next 10 years and whether it is better supported by having academic knowledge or practical knowledge. From what you have said, both business and hospitality are both best supported by practical experience.

The issue with apprenticeships is that when we had then historically, they used to deliver excellence, you knew if someone had served an apprenticeship they were a skilled craftsman. This isn't the case nowadays. There are still some good apprenticeships, but many are just schemes to keep young adults out of unemployment. So do your research well on how much real training you will get, who has verified the quality of the scheme etc.
I am doing an apprenticeship first, want to work after that for some years in a company and going to study then.

See it in another view: during an apprenticeship, you get work experience (and the years after finishing it). Furthermore you have the chance to study years later.

Quick Reply