The Student Room Group

Cambridge Economics Applicants 2018

I haven't spotted a thread for applicants to Cambridge for Economics in 2018:

How is everyone feeling about applications?

And for comparison do people want to share their:
GCSE grades
AS grades
Predicted A2 grades / IB grades
College

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am going to apply to Trinity with:
- 11A* IGCSE
- A in Add Maths
I am taking a gap year so once I get my results in the summer I will apply with those but at the moment I am predicted 44 in the IB:
- 7 HL Maths
- 7 HL Chemistry
- 7 HL Economics
- 7 SL Geography
- 6 SL Mandarin
- 7 SL English

I am also going to sit Maths AEA after my IB exams
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JMKEcon
I am going to apply to either Gonville and Caius, Christ's or Trinity with:
- 11A* IGCSE
- A in Add Maths
I am taking a gap year so once I get my results in the summer I will apply with those but at the moment I am predicted 44 in the IB:
- 7 HL Maths
- 7 HL Chemistry
- 7 HL Economics
- 7 SL Geography
- 6 SL Mandarin
- 7 SL English

I am also going to sit Maths AEA after my IB exams

Caius FTW
Reply 3
Feeling okay about it, just sent off my UCAS form.

GCSE: 9A*,3A,1B
AS: Maths A, Further Maths A, History A, GPR D3
A level predicted: Maths A*, Economics A*, Further Maths A, GPR D3
College: Selwyn
Original post by DrSebWilkes
he is deputy head of school.

Wow! My deputy head is a grown man, with a degree and past experience, not some 17/18 year old! Some schools must do different....
Original post by Rex Onocrotalus
Wow! My deputy head is a grown man, with a degree and past experience, not some 17/18 year old! Some schools must do different....

I don't know what else to call him? We have a head of school (in fact we have 2 - one male and female because the BBC's PC police must have raided our school) and then 3 deputies (actually just 3).

Below them are the prefects, then it's the plebs like us.

Anyway I'm sure it'll be clear what he is - or it won't matter because he's done plenty of good stuff anyway.
I don't know what else to call him? We have a head of school (in fact we have 2 - one male and female because the BBC's PC police must have raided our school) and then 3 deputies (actually just 3).

Below them are the prefects, then it's the plebs like us.

Anyway I'm sure it'll be clear what he is - or it won't matter because he's done plenty of good stuff anyway.

I was joking, don't worry. At our school we call them Head Boy and Head Girl, and Deputy Head Boy and Deputy Head Girl. I was just saying how I read it thinking he was the Deputy Headteacher of the school.
Original post by Rex Onocrotalus
I was joking, don't worry. At our school we call them Head Boy and Head Girl, and Deputy Head Boy and Deputy Head Girl. I was just saying how I read it thinking he was the Deputy Headteacher of the school.

Haha we sometimes joke he's actually pupetting the other prefects so maybe he is?! :P

He's so nervous, bless him, but I don't think he's got anything to worry about. He'll smash it; I reckon he's our year's best chance.
Haha we sometimes joke he's actually pupetting the other prefects so maybe he is?! :P

He's so nervous, bless him, but I don't think he's got anything to worry about. He'll smash it; I reckon he's our year's best chance.

His previous grades and extra curricular activities seem to be very good, I'm sure he has a way better chance than I do :tongue: (however my course is not as competitive in Cambridge)
I am applying to Pembroke this year as an international applicant!

I am going to have my interview next next Monday, wish me luck :smile:

How are you guys preparing for this interview? I’ve heard you can’t do much for it!

GCSE Results: 11A*s 1A
AS Results: 4As in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics
Average UMS: 94-95%
Predicted A2 Grades: 4A*s
Reply 10
Oh god the admissions test and interview will be a fun experience!!
Applying for Trinity with 6As 6A*s at GCSE, 4As and a B at AS and predicted A*AA. Let's ignore the average UMS :')
Reply 11
Applying to Caius with:
- 4A*s, 5As and a B (from a *****y comprehensive btw)
- 93 UMS average in AS maths (got 100 in both C1 and C2 but did rubbish on Stats) and A* for full A-level (with 90 and 96 in C3 and C4)
- predicted A*A*A*A
"Entering" for a friend (hey if you read this; just bragging for you :P )

Applying for Corpus Christi, and is waiting on his results from his choir pre-audition.

GCSE: 11 A* + A (Film studies)

A Levels: Taking Double Maths, Chemistry and Music
AS level: UMS average of about 94 in maths
A2 Predictions: 3 A* + A Music
Supercurriclar: work experience in IBM and other leading businesses looking at markets and whatnot

Has read loads of economics stuff, and came top 10 in an economics essay competition. He has had lead parts in the school plays, and he does lots of debating and oratory competitions. He got gold in the intermediate maths challenge as well! Oh and he's in the choir, does all that stuff, been in a summer camp for his trumpet playing, and he is deputy head of school.

No one remembers his appearance on Masterchef though ahahah

Hmmm what essay competitions did your "friend" come top 10 in?!
Original post by Jono-Wolf
Hmmm what essay competitions did your "friend" come top 10 in?!

I don't know tbh but I don't think it was majorly mainstream because he doesn't take A-level economics and he didn't want to have to write an essay on something that was totally reliant on the styles and content of A-level economics. Anyway he seemed pretty chuffed so that's enough for me.
How is everyone feeling? My friend reckons he did well on the test, although didn't like the essay based question for being bland - typically economics A-level *bluegh*

He managed to get an interview from a teacher and they said it was good. He's feeling confident about giving this a good shot. Anyone else feeling pumped?
My friend got his interview from Corpus Christi, finally!! Well done you :smile:

It says there is a pre-interview test. Anyone know about this? How is everyone else feeling?
Hey guys. I know that we're not allowed to discuss interview questions and the specifics, but how did everyone generally find their interviews?!
Reply 17
Original post by Jono-Wolf
Hey guys. I know that we're not allowed to discuss interview questions and the specifics, but how did everyone generally find their interviews?!

Mine was really tough. I don’t really know how it went it’s hard to judge, I felt parts went quite well but others not so much. How was yours?
Original post by JMKEcon
Mine was really tough. I don’t really know how it went it’s hard to judge, I felt parts went quite well but others not so much. How was yours?

Yeahhh mine was pretty tough! I think the maths questions werent tooo bad but i fumbled over some of them which was quite annoying!!! The economicsy part was ok, but could have said some better points. We'll have to wait and see
Reply 19
My trinity one follows a very different style to other college's but it generally wasn't too bad. Felt like I was doing a lot of talking though

Quick Reply