Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I get a pregnancy test? Watch

Hi everyone, I've been on the Depo Provera injection for about 14 months now, I have it every 10 weeks instead of every 12 weeks because I start getting cramps if I have it any later. Because I've been on it so long, I don't have periods anymore.

I heard that the injection is over 99% effective and I've been sexually active since I first had it and I've never gotten pregnant.

Lately I've been getting breast tenderness, shortness of breath, cramping, nausea and palpitations. I know that these could potentially be the first signs of pregnancy, but the last time I had sex was early November time - would I know by now?

I spoke to a sexual health adviser and they said that these symptoms are common from the injection, but I've had the injection for so long and only just started getting these symptoms. He told me I don't need a pregnancy test and made me an appointment at the sexual health clinic to discuss my contraception.

I've had blood tests regarding the palpitations, but they could be due to the stress of college, and my cramps may be caused by digestion problems and poor diet.

What do you think? Should I get a pregnancy test?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi everyone, I've been on the Depo Provera injection for about 14 months now, I have it every 10 weeks instead of every 12 weeks because I start getting cramps if I have it any later. Because I've been on it so long, I don't have periods anymore.

I heard that the injection is over 99% effective and I've been sexually active since I first had it and I've never gotten pregnant.

Lately I've been getting breast tenderness, shortness of breath, cramping, nausea and palpitations. I know that these could potentially be the first signs of pregnancy, but the last time I had sex was early November time - would I know by now?

I spoke to a sexual health adviser and they said that these symptoms are common from the injection, but I've had the injection for so long and only just started getting these symptoms. He told me I don't need a pregnancy test and made me an appointment at the sexual health clinic to discuss my contraception.

I've had blood tests regarding the palpitations, but they could be due to the stress of college, and my cramps may be caused by digestion problems and poor diet.

What do you think? Should I get a pregnancy test?
    If it will ease your mind yes...
    But i dontbthink its neccessary really. And now you think you might be pregnant its likely your body may be hightening thise feelings as you convince yourself its true.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Should I get a pregnancy test?
    It's like 2 pounds and will put your mind at rest. Why not?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It's a quid if you go for one of the own-brand ones...

Anyway, it's highly unlikely that you're pregnant. I do wonder if you would be better off with an alternative form of contraception though. The implant is also progesterone, but a lower dose, and staggeringly reliable.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.