The Student Room Group

How much do you spend at uni ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by fefssdf
Sorry to hear that :/ how comes you have an essay I thought you were doing maths at Warwick ?

Yes. The second year essay. I have no primary sources and have just believed the (almost certainly correct, as it's all old and not remotely contentious) things I have found on Wolfram and stack exchange and Wikipedia, but I can't source them obviously, nor can I not source them as I have used a lot of ideas in proofs from them and it would be borderline plagiarism.
You lot need to budget :rofl:

I could do about £20 a week excluding nights out
£10 per semester
Pot noodles all day everyday.
Hahaha, I spent over £900 :colondollar:

I lack the ability to say no when asked to go to social events, and I rarely cooked (living in self-catered)...
Original post by fefssdf
AH really ; how much did you spend in your first sesmester not including food and rent

about a grand on gym membership and other one off payments. Xmas i spent so much
Reply 25
Original post by hezzlington
about a grand on gym membership and other one off payments. Xmas i spent so much

I think many students tend to sPlash out when they first get their student loan but I guess you'll spend less next semester as you won't need to buy the gym membership again for example !
Original post by TheExtrovertGod
You lot need to budget :rofl:

I could do about £20 a week excluding nights out

So not £20 a week then :lol:

I keep track of every penny I spend and need to spend. Give myself what I can afford to give myself which is £45 a week and means I'm fairly comfortable without wasting money on stuff I don't need :wink:
Reply 27
Original post by JustAGeogStudent
Hahaha, I spent over £900 :colondollar:

I lack the ability to say no when asked to go to social events, and I rarely cooked (living in self-catered)...

Oh my and yh you see so many people who say they won't go out cause they have no money yet still end up going when people beg them and end up knee deep into their overdrafts ; I know someone who was in like -250 by the end of the first semester
Reply 28
AH fair enough it looks like you spent money on sensible things like societies and sports memberships so it's not too bad
Reply 29
Original post by Rodney98
£10 per semester
Pot noodles all day everyday.

Are you serious ? If so that's very impressive
Original post by fefssdf
In my first semester I spent around £300 altogether as I'm in catered halls so don't need to buy food
Would you say this is a lot or not much compared to what you spent ?

Do you recommend living in catered halls in terms of costs?
Original post by fefssdf

Growing up poor taught me a lot of things.
It is possible I just really love pot noodles :smile:.
I'm a loner so I don't go to pubs, parties, student fairs and other stuff.
When I see something I like I always think twice about it.

If I get bored with pot noodles I have, lasagna or ratatouille spaghetti.

When my mum came to campus she nearly fainted by the thought of her son not taking care of his diet.
Original post by fefssdf
In my first semester I spent around £300 altogether as I'm in catered halls so don't need to buy food
Would you say this is a lot or not much compared to what you spent ?

How much is your rent?
Original post by fefssdf

I'd rather just be in debt than live on pot noodles all semester :lol:
Reply 34
About £1500
Reply 35
Yeh your last point is very true ; good to see you'd rather spend cash on sports than alcohol haha.
Reply 36
Original post by Raizelcadres
Do you recommend living in catered halls in terms of costs?

The way my uni organises catered halls is extremely good as I get breakfast dinner and also get £27 on a meal card each week which I can spend at any of the places on campus offering food and in my case that's a lot of places so I end up not spending any money on food but I still know of people who will order takeaways for example which is rather silly
Look at what your uni charges for catered halls cause in some cases it really isn't worth it as some palces I know only give you a certain amount of money on a card and you're expected to get all your food with it or other places won't provide meals at the weekend so in these cases it's probably better of going self catered
Reply 37
Original post by Rodney98
Growing up poor taught me a lot of things.
It is possible I just really love pot noodles :smile:.
I'm a loner so I don't go to pubs, parties, student fairs and other stuff.
When I see something I like I always think twice about it.

If I get bored with pot noodles I have, lasagna or ratatouille spaghetti.

When my mum came to campus she nearly fainted by the thought of her son not taking care of his diet.

Yeh living off that sort of food isn't good for your health however you've saved a lot of money doing so ; perhaps consider buying cheap fruit / veg as well
Reply 38
Original post by cherryred90s
How much is your rent?

It's 5.4K for the year and I get a double bed and breakfast lunch and dinner
Original post by fefssdf
It's 5.4K for the year and I get a double bed and breakfast lunch and dinner

Oh that's cheap

Quick Reply

Latest