Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    How much is your rent?
    It's 5.4K for the year and I get a double bed and breakfast lunch and dinner

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fefssdf)
    It's 5.4K for the year and I get a double bed and breakfast lunch and dinner
    Oh that's cheap

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite like you! However, I don't live in self-catered halls but spent £314.19 last semester, not including rent or the admin fee for next year's house, but I did spend two weeks at home due to placement. So it's certainly possible for other people if you budget and I do eat pretty healthily. It helps cooking batch meals like lasagna, chilli con carne and cottage pie etc.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh your last point is very true ; good to see you'd rather spend cash on sports than alcohol haha.
    I just don't honestly see the point of alcohol. There's absolutely no benefit

ReputationRep:
    Generally I only spend money on food and I always buy the cheapest stuff, so I don't worry about budgeting. Exceptions are that I also buy a lot of diet coke and also tobacco, which are habits I need to stop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    I just don't honestly see the point of alcohol. There's absolutely no benefit
    Same I don't get it either hence I drink the absolute bare minimum e.g. One can of cider

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mistletoe)
    Generally I only spend money on food and I always buy the cheapest stuff, so I don't worry about budgeting. Exceptions are that I also buy a lot of diet coke and also tobacco, which are habits I need to stop.
    Ah try and cut down on the smoking if you can ; you'll appreciate the rewards in the long run

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clarkey500)
    I'm quite like you! However, I don't live in self-catered halls but spent £314.19 last semester, not including rent or the admin fee for next year's house, but I did spend two weeks at home due to placement. So it's certainly possible for other people if you budget and I do eat pretty healthily. It helps cooking batch meals like lasagna, chilli con carne and cottage pie etc.
    Yeh batch meals is a good idea for sure
    Next year I'll be self catered so trying to budget on food will be a nice challenge
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I don't tend to budget much since I tend to buy cheaper but filling foods, and I put aside all my rent/ bill/ flying home money at the start of each semester. Need to keep an eye on it though this semester as I am due up at the hospital 3 times a week now for the next 10 weeks, meaning I had to get a bus pass.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh batch meals is a good idea for sure
    Next year I'll be self catered so trying to budget on food will be a nice challenge
    It's actually quite relaxing making them as well. Some of my flatmates think I'm crazy for doing it but some of them are in their overdraft...

Same I don't get it either hence I drink the absolute bare minimum e.g. One can of cider
    Same again! Another way I save money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    About £1500
    FIFA coins

ReputationRep:
    £15-£20 food budget this term. No more alcohol (I only spent like five pound a week, maybe ten, but my tolerance is ridiculously high so it isn't worth it unless I need something to drink and water is free).

Trying to spend a maximum of 40 a week, even that I'll try to be super frugal. But I say about 20 a week is my average.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SA-1)
    FIFA coins
    Pls I'm a baller

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Pls I'm a baller

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Luke would comment on your pass rate and agree with your statement

But I love you hehe x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SA-1)
    Luke would comment on your pass rate and agree with your statement

But I love you hehe x

Love you bae x

ReputationRep:
    The way my uni organises catered halls is extremely good as I get breakfast dinner and also get £27 on a meal card each week which I can spend at any of the places on campus offering food and in my case that's a lot of places so I end up not spending any money on food but I still know of people who will order takeaways for example which is rather silly
    Look at what your uni charges for catered halls cause in some cases it really isn't worth it as some palces I know only give you a certain amount of money on a card and you're expected to get all your food with it or other places won't provide meals at the weekend so in these cases it's probably better of going self catered
    What uni is that, if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    Around £1,400. My monthly living allowance after rent is in and around £450.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    While that's true I wouldn't have been able to do it if I were relying solely on my student loan. For example someone else might have spent £300 on alcohol over the semester. They might have gotten the same enjoyment I got out of archery. It doesn't matter where the money goes, providing you spend money within your means. I'd be in the same scenario as every other poor student if I spent £300 when I only had £200.

Spending money on sensible things is not sensible if you don't have the money to spend. That's where most people go wrong.
    It really depends on your own individual income/expenditure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frostyjoe)
    It really depends on your own individual income/expenditure.
    Well yes, that't the entire point I've been making throughout. But individual values don't matter. What you spend money on doesn't matter. If you try to spend more money than you have then you'll have a bad time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaaayxp)
    What uni is that, if you don't mind me asking?
    Nottingham

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.