Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I recently decided to study again, and hadn't realised the UCAS deadline was so soon.

I'm 42 and I've been self employed since 2001, and haven't worked much since 2004 due to health problems. I have absolutely no idea who to use as a reference.

I will be applying for ceramics/craft courses. Could I use a local potter who has taught me a bit on an ad-hoc basis? At least there's some professional connection, as I've paid her for lessons.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teasus)
    I recently decided to study again, and hadn't realised the UCAS deadline was so soon.

I'm 42 and I've been self employed since 2001, and haven't worked much since 2004 due to health problems. I have absolutely no idea who to use as a reference.

I will be applying for ceramics/craft courses. Could I use a local potter who has taught me a bit on an ad-hoc basis? At least there's some professional connection, as I've paid her for lessons.
    You need to ask universities for guidance in this case

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    You need to ask universities for guidance in this case
    Thanks, but the UCAS deadline is tomorrow at 5pm. I presume they're all closed!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, but the UCAS deadline is tomorrow at 5pm. I presume they're all closed!
    I know, i think at this rate either considering a late application or clearing is your best bet if not applying next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    I know, i think at this rate either considering a late application or clearing is your best bet if not applying next year.
    OK thanks I will still see if I can get in with what I have because it's almost ready apart from that, so I might as well!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    OK thanks I will still see if I can get in with what I have because it's almost ready apart from that, so I might as well!
    I suppose there's no harm in trying

ReputationRep:
    I know with some Arts courses the deadline is later on, but not for all so it's worth double checking if you can?

I copy and pasted this from UCAS:

24 March 2017
    Some art and design courses have a 24 March deadline; again applications should arrive at UCAS by 18:00 (UK time). (Others have a 15 January deadline – check course details on our search tool to confirm the correct deadline.) The reference needs to be completed before the application can be sent to us.

Here's the link to all deadlines for 2017:
    https://www.ucas.com/advisers/gettin...tion-deadlines

Hope that helps.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:

The potter sounds ideal. Don't just ask though, give them a bit of an idea what a UCAS reference should contain, ie make it easy for them to say yes!

ReputationRep:
    you dont mention the course. if its a hnc/d then you just apply via the college uni. re refrences just be creative find a couple of none family people that are willing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.