The Student Room Group

Should I drop an A level?

I'm currently in my first year of studying Maths, History, Economics and Geography at a school that sends just under 20% of its students to Oxbridge. I only take an AS in maths at the end of this school year. I really dislike Geography, I didn't even do it at GCSE and I feel like I won't do well. Should I drop it it? I am hoping to apply to Cambridge. My form tutor has told me that I shouldn't .
Reply 1
Original post by Tom6
I'm currently in my first year of studying Maths, History, Economics and Geography at a school that sends just under 20% of its students to Oxbridge. I only take an AS in maths at the end of this school year. I really dislike Geography, I didn't even do it at GCSE and I feel like I won't do well. Should I drop it it? I am hoping to apply to Cambridge. My form tutor has told me that I shouldn't .

Depends it is up to you on how well you can manage all those subjects.

What course are you looking to do in university?
Original post by Tom6

Most people only take 3 a levels
Reply 3
I'd say drop it. They're all demanding subjects if you feel like you aren't enjoying it, it'll drag you behind not only in the subject but in your other subjects.
Reply 4
Original post by Tom6

Hey,

wow 20% oxbridge is loads!! Our school only send 4 or 5 each year and the pressure is bad enough haha

Because you only have to take external AS exams in maths at the end of this year, I would say keep going with geography because you might start to enjoy it once you start a new topic or something - quite a few of my friends who do Geography say its quite boring, but easy to do well in if you learn everything. If you still don't like it by the end of year 12, just drop it - at least you've tried to persevere with it so you won't regret not trying.

In terms of Cambridge, you wouldn't be at a disadvantage only taking 3 A Levels as many schools only offer this anyway, but you would certainly be at an advantage if you took 4. I guess it depends what course you want to apply to though - medicine will be very different to languages for example.

In terms of what I'm doing I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English and want to do medicine, so obviously English isn't very helpful, but I haven't decided to drop it because I want to keep my options open in case I struggle with one of my other subjects as the year progresses.

Hope this kinda helps :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Rodney98
Depends it is up to you on how well you can manage all those subjects.

What course are you looking to do in university?

I think that I could manage them and get an AAAA prediction at the end of the year, but I'm worried that I won't be a able to get the A* I need because of it. I'm looking to do History.
Reply 6
Original post by Tom6
I think that I could manage them and get an AAAA prediction at the end of the year, but I'm worried that I won't be a able to get the A* I need because of it. I'm looking to do History.

From how you are putting it from my point of view you should drop Geography. That is just my perspective. You have to make the decision yourself. You still have loads of time right now. I would drop it, but I would regret it later as I could have gotten better grades with Geography.

If History is your choice at uni just drop Geography to help your future self.

Good luck OP.

Quick Reply

Latest