The Student Room Group

Do i need to be doing wider reading to do well in AS economics?

Hi guys, is it expected of me to read news magazines for e.g. The Economist in order to do well in AS Economics? I have heard several people saying so, and i'm starting to get worried as it is mid-Jan and i've never properly read any economics news/blogs etc. Do you recommend I do so or are the usual specification content, exam tech, past papers etc sufficient?

Thanks
Okay I am in my second year of the new economics spec and I would say no. I mean you can do well without it, it's not going to make or break your grade. Just if you get the chance watch the news once a week or even download a news app which can give you notifications to headlines relating to economics and that'll do. The core content is the most important part they would rather see you get that than can research economic issues
Reply 2
Original post by emmepemme1999
Okay I am in my second year of the new economics spec and I would say no. I mean you can do well without it, it's not going to make or break your grade. Just if you get the chance watch the news once a week or even download a news app which can give you notifications to headlines relating to economics and that'll do. The core content is the most important part they would rather see you get that than can research economic issues

This is reassuring, thanks x
no extra reading is needed.
Reply 4
Original post by zainyyyyy
no extra reading is needed.

U can't even read
Original post by solC
U can't even read

funny because its true
A2 Student here. (and got an A in my first)

Let me explain why 'wider reading' in general dosen't really help.

The exam you sit, was written 18 months ago.
For example, there was no worry about 'Brexit' coming up in my AS Economics exam because it only occurred at the same time as the exams.

Having general knowledge of affairs such as 'Brexit' or The Great Depression and important events like those, do help understanding, and may even potentially come up in your exam.

Basically, wider reading is totally optional, you can get by without it, but it's better if you do.
Especially if you're thinking about Economics at degree level.
Original post by BigBadAsh
A2 Student here. (and got an A in my first)

Let me explain why 'wider reading' in general dosen't really help.

The exam you sit, was written 18 months ago.
For example, there was no worry about 'Brexit' coming up in my AS Economics exam because it only occurred at the same time as the exams.

Having general knowledge of affairs such as 'Brexit' or The Great Depression and important events like those, do help understanding, and may even potentially come up in your exam.

Basically, wider reading is totally optional, you can get by without it, but it's better if you do.
Especially if you're thinking about Economics at degree level.

Yeah, the wider reading is just too inefficient and just not really applicable in most exams.
Reply 8
Thanks guys

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending