Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Unique Medical and Science Work Experience Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    For a competitive course like Medicine, I want to stand out. Are there any unique science/medical work experience or things to put on your personal statement that nobody else will have?

I've done work experience in a hospital and volunteering somewhere is always an option... but any other ideas? Much appreciated

(I'm 16 btw and also, would laboratory work be available anywhere?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overthinking)
    For a competitive course like Medicine, I want to stand out. Are there any unique science/medical work experience or things to put on your personal statement that nobody else will have?

I've done work experience in a hospital and volunteering somewhere is always an option... but any other ideas? Much appreciated

(I'm 16 btw and also, would laboratory work be available anywhere?)
    They're not looking to see unique work experience, they aren't more likely to give you an interview if you write on your PS that you spent time working in Laboratory X at Prestigious University Y. It doesn't work that way.

They want to see that from your work experience and volunteering that you've gained a reasonable idea of what life is like for most doctors in the NHS. The quality of your reflection matters much more than how rare your placement was.

Do you expect to be spending much time in the lab as a medical student or junior doctor?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    They're not looking to see unique work experience, they aren't more likely to give you an interview if you write on your PS that you spent time working in Laboratory X at Prestigious University Y. It doesn't work that way.

They want to see that from your work experience and volunteering that you've gained a reasonable idea of what life is like for most doctors in the NHS. The quality of your reflection matters much more than how rare your placement was.

Do you expect to be spending much time in the lab as a medical student or junior doctor?
    I don't really mean that, I mean are there any good work experience places that could help with that, that isn't the typical work experience in the hospital or volunteering because i don't think observing doctors in the hospital for a couple of hours helps understand really what life is like for junior doctors ( I did work experience for two weeks). Instead, I want work experience that will develop my communication skills that will help me prepare for that and is there anything in particular that helps with that?

And I'm interested in laboratory work mainly to see what that would be like, not that I think they do offer work experience. Also to see if I would maybe enjoy it as I'm more interested in the research side of medicine (even though I do like the idea of the clinical side too) and that will probably help me decide if I should do biomedical science or medicine, or if i really want to go into research (even though where I see myself will probably change like it does for most people)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overthinking)
    I don't really mean that, I mean are there any good work experience places that could help with that, that isn't the typical work experience in the hospital or volunteering because i don't think observing doctors in the hospital for a couple of hours helps understand really what life is like for junior doctors ( I did work experience for two weeks). Instead, I want work experience that will develop my communication skills that will help me prepare for that and is there anything in particular that helps with that?

And I'm interested in laboratory work mainly to see what that would be like, not that I think they do offer work experience. Also to see if I would maybe enjoy it as I'm more interested in the research side of medicine (even though I do like the idea of the clinical side too) and that will probably help me decide if I should do biomedical science or medicine, or if i really want to go into research (even though where I see myself will probably change like it does for most people)
    Well if you want a more hands on experience I recommend Care Home work, Kids clubs etc. As far as standing out goes... a piece of WE won't make that happen, I know people who have gone to the states to do some WE but trust me that doesn't make you stand out. Although some more alternative forms of WE could be coroners courts, Magistrates courts. But to specifically improve your communication have a look into care home work.

I would recommend doing some Pathology at a hospital, get a feel for some more lab based medicine. Though this can be hard to get into.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.