Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    HI all,

Next week I am doing my a level mocks and for reference I do English Language, Media Studies and Chemistry. I am Predicated and A* in media and a B in both English and Chemistry.
    However, in chemistry I am not lacking knowledge as I know most of the content, but the exam questions are fing me up. I get confused with what they are asking me and never get the right answer, my teacher says to just read them carefully and that doesn't work. I am worried that I am going to fail because of the wording of the questions.
    Anybody got any tips? Open to anything!

(btw my exam board is Edexcel) so yes extremely hard exams.

ReputationRep:
    Read each Q twice and try and work out:

1. What the examiner is looking for - try and read his/her mind from the wording of the Q. Then put down exactly that, as if you are saying: "Hi Sir/Miss, this is what you were looking for - that is exactly what I have written. Can I have my two marks, please. Thank you!)

2. Put down as many bullet points/ideas as the number of marks assigned to a Q or part thereof. Or, even better, one more idea so you have one mark "in reserve".

3. Be concise and relevant - it is quality of your answer and number of points that earn marks, not just low quality volume.

I attach an article I wrote in a periodical a short while ago - hope it helps furthe!
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdfExam Tips GS.pdf (164.6 KB, 18 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by macpatelgh)
    Or, even better, one more idea so you have one mark "in reserve".
    Actually, this isn't a good idea as depending on the mark scheme/marker, the third answer might be simply ignored or checked and if incorrect would lose one of the earlier marks. There should never be a situation in which, if one of your earlier answers were incorrect that you'd be able to pick up a mark by later on putting a correct answer. It would only get a mark if one of your answer that you though was good enough to gain credit was in fact neither right nor wrong.

Best advice if asked for two answers, put your two best answers and stop writing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.