Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Public Policy: LSE, UCL or Oxford Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! I got an offer from LSE for the Msc Public Policy and Administration, and from UCL's Msc Public Policy as well. I'm also applying to the Oxford's MPP. Between the first two, ¿which would you recommend? I think they are pretty much the same quality, although LSE is more known internationally. I do no plan necessarily to dedicate myself to the academic life. And regarding Oxford, is the Blavatnik School of Government really better than the other two?

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoseMaritano)
    Hi everyone! I got an offer from LSE for the Msc Public Policy and Administration, and from UCL's Msc Public Policy as well. I'm also applying to the Oxford's MPP. Between the first two, ¿which would you recommend? I think they are pretty much the same quality, although LSE is more known internationally. I do no plan necessarily to dedicate myself to the academic life. And regarding Oxford, is the Blavatnik School of Government really better than the other two?

Many thanks
    Choosing between UCL and LSE is simple. Do you want to be in a uni with lots of cliquey oriental kids (LSE) or a uni with lots of liberals and some cliquey oriental kids (UCL).

ReputationRep:
    Considering internationally,

LSE>UCL
    Oxford(at least the name reputation) > LSE, UCL

ReputationRep:
    The student body at UCL and LSE tends to be younger, most are straight from undergrad without much seasoning. LSE has the MPA for students with more experience. If you look at Oxford Blavatnik's website, students tend to have relevant public sector work experience. Some are sponsored civil servants from other countries (fast track equivalent). Interestingly, there are very few Brits at Blavatnik. I would guess facilities are better at Oxford with own building.

ReputationRep:
    I got exactly the same offers, but I think I'll go with LSE. I was at LSE last summer for summer school and I kept a great memory of it. Also, LSE is more internationally known so I'd go for that.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I also applied for LSE for the Msc Public Policy and Administration in January,but haven't received any news from the department. I'm wondering when did you submit your application? The system shows it is closed to all the new applicants, so I am worried about any influence. How long it often takes for the department to make the final decision?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I submitted my application in mid-February, it took about 6-7 weeks to get an offer. Do you know if it was still open the day you submitted your application?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by efix)
    Hi,
    I submitted my application in mid-February, it took about 6-7 weeks to get an offer. Do you know if it was still open the day you submitted your application?
    It seems that you are excellent enough to get offer so quickly. I submitted my application in January,but missed the academic reference until mid-February. When I submitted my reference, I found the program is closed to new applicants. I don't know wether it will have any influence.

Besides, has you heard any news from BSG? Do they have interview recently?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've just submitted my application for Public Policy at UCL! Any advice... what can I expect? ... I dont wanna wait 7 weeks to know if I have got in!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I applied for MPA at LSE in January. Up to now, I have no news from LSE. Now the timeline shows it is closed to new applicants. When do you submit your application? How long it takes for the department to make final decision?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dora_lu)
    Hi, I applied for MPA at LSE in January. Up to now, I have no news from LSE. Now the timeline shows it is closed to new applicants. When do you submit your application? How long it takes for the department to make final decision?
    The timeframe from when you submit your application until your receive an offer/rejection is about 8 weeks. As long as you submitted your application before the applications closed, you should still be eligible for an offer in my opinion.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.