Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

struggling on revising books for eng lit GCSE Watch

ReputationRep:
    hello, i'm struggling on how to revise the books for the eng GCSE exam. Shall i write the key quotes for all the characters and highlight the themes and techniques? please share your tips. btw im studying macbeth, IC and christmas carol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milly01)
    hello, i'm struggling on how to revise the books for the eng GCSE exam. Shall i write the key quotes for all the characters and highlight the themes and techniques? please share your tips. btw im studying macbeth, IC and christmas carol
    Your idea sounds good. What I did was I found relevant quotes that could go with each character or theme that I knew I could write about in detail (it'll make your life easier if you find ones that can go with a character and a theme at the same time), memorised them and then wrote out essay plans for questions that I thought could come up

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Macbeth and ACC too!! I think what would be really helpful to do is get the context down for both.What the writer's ideas are. Then list out the characters (their main representation, for example Scrooge starts off as an allegory for a typical rich person in VS but also represents the potential for change. or how Macbeth is a tragic hero; his ambition is his hubris. Write down any language devices that back both up. Macbeth: his words echo that of the witches which show that he is influenced aligned with the 'evil and supernatural') Write down key quotations (that you can remember and whip out during the exam time; my favourite from ACC is 'are there no prisons?' and 'solitary as an oyster' ) that frame the character's traits really well and also what each mean. Make notes about the symbolism in both books. (There's the theme of benevolence and generosity in ACC)

good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etudiebee)
    Your idea sounds good. What I did was I found relevant quotes that could go with each character or theme that I knew I could write about in detail (it'll make your life easier if you find ones that can go with a character and a theme at the same time), memorised them and then wrote out essay plans for questions that I thought could come up

Good luck!

Thank you so much, really helpful. the essay plans good idea!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milly01)
    Thank you so much, really helpful. the essay plans good idea!
    You're welcome! Essay plans really are helpful. I don't know what I would have done if I wasn't told about them :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saharan_skies)
    I'm doing Macbeth and ACC too!! I think what would be really helpful to do is get the context down for both.What the writer's ideas are. Then list out the characters (their main representation, for example Scrooge starts off as an allegory for a typical rich person in VS but also represents the potential for change. or how Macbeth is a tragic hero; his ambition is his hubris. Write down any language devices that back both up. Macbeth: his words echo that of the witches which show that he is influenced aligned with the 'evil and supernatural' Write down key quotations (that you can remember and whip out during the exam time; my favourite from ACC is 'are there no prisons?' and 'solitary as an oyster' ) that frame the character's traits really well and also what each mean. Make notes about the symbolism in both books. (There's the theme of benevolence and generosity in ACC)

good luck
    thank you so much! this is really helpful!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.