Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feel like I'm unfairly being classed as an EU student by Scottish universities Watch

• Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    Ok. All Scottish unis have different policies when it comes to classing EU status.

For example: St Andrews classed me as EU simply because my father, also N.Irish, has an Irish passport. Literally, that was it. And I was born in London but have lived majority of my life in N.Ireland. (And now I hold one too, since I technically have dual nationality, perks).

BUT Dundee and Glasgow classed me as RUK because I had not physically lived in Southern Ireland for more than 30 days, regardless of the Irish citizenship I hold.

OP, I would speak to St Andrews and Edinburgh
    That's strange. Might that be because you were living in Northern Ireland at the time? I think the OP said they live in London, so having an Irish passport (or their mother having one) shouldn't make them an EU student. I am a dual British/Irish citizen but when I applied to two Scottish universities (Edinburgh and Aberdeen), they both said I would pay RUK fees because I was living in England.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    That's strange. Might that be because you were living in Northern Ireland at the time? I think the OP said they live in London, so having an Irish passport (or their mother having one) shouldn't make them an EU student. I am a dual British/Irish citizen but when I applied to two Scottish universities (Edinburgh and Aberdeen), they both said I would pay RUK fees because I was living in England.
    Yes lived my whole life in London, mother has Irish passport. That's good to know. Thank you!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polymath98)
    I'm not sure, can't remember.
    These things are LONG (eg http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/informati...naire-2016.pdf ) - you'd remember.

If you haven't completed a questionnaire then your fee status will be based on whatever you put as your fee status on UCAS. It's normal for a fee status questionnaire to over-ride the UCAS classification.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    I literally just scanned in my daddy's passport when they asked me to fill out a form, and there it was, EU fee status.

ReputationRep:
    Your not an EU student. Past 2011 Northern Irish Students cannot use Irish residency to claim EU fee status.

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to both Edinburgh and St Andrews. I applied to Edinburgh last year and was unsuccessful, having been predicted A*AA for maths (which last year was a standard AAA-now been boosted I believe to A*AA, not that bitter ) However I was classed as an EU student, because of my mother's Irish passport. At the time, the idea of paying 2.5 grand as opposed to 9 seemed attractive, however when I didn't get an offer, a part of me thought I was short of the standard required, but another part of me thought that it was because I didn't make the quota for EU students.
    I'm British-have a British passport, was born in London and have spent all my life in London. My dad is British, born in England and my mum is Irish, born in Northern Ireland. I know that if you wish universities to reconsider your fee status you must write to them, but I probably qualify via some rule for being an EU student. Does anyone else think this is unfair? I'd happily pay 9 grand since I could end up paying that at 3 other places.
    There is no quota - EU students battle for the same places as UK - it would be illegal to disadvantage EU students for university places. You're confusing it with international students.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsAndCoffee)
    Your not an EU student. Past 2011 Northern Irish Students cannot use Irish residency to claim EU fee status.
    I applied in 2015, live in N.I, have Irish and British residency, was classed EU fees by St Andrews. It really just depends on the uni and how they class who is an EU student or not.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    There is no quota - EU students battle for the same places as UK - it would be illegal to disadvantage EU students for university places. You're confusing it with international students.
    There is a quota - Scottish universities have strict limits on the number of Scottish/EU entrants they can admit. There's no similar limit to international or RUK entrants as the funding for those students is not subsidised by the Scottish Government.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Just to point people at the full (and very complex) rules:
    http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information...and-fee-status

There's a reason fee questionnaires are long - fee status isn't simple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    There is a quota - Scottish universities have strict limits on the number of Scottish/EU entrants they can admit. There's no similar limit to international or RUK entrants as the funding for those students is not subsidised by the Scottish Government.
    Hence why I'm eager to be classed as RUK

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to both Edinburgh and St Andrews. I applied to Edinburgh last year and was unsuccessful, having been predicted A*AA for maths (which last year was a standard AAA-now been boosted I believe to A*AA, not that bitter ) However I was classed as an EU student, because of my mother's Irish passport. At the time, the idea of paying 2.5 grand as opposed to 9 seemed attractive, however when I didn't get an offer, a part of me thought I was short of the standard required, but another part of me thought that it was because I didn't make the quota for EU students.
    I'm British-have a British passport, was born in London and have spent all my life in London. My dad is British, born in England and my mum is Irish, born in Northern Ireland. I know that if you wish universities to reconsider your fee status you must write to them, but I probably qualify via some rule for being an EU student. Does anyone else think this is unfair? I'd happily pay 9 grand since I could end up paying that at 3 other places.
    EU and UK students are counted as the same quota so it wouldn't have affected you application at all. I'm sorry to say, but you just weren't good enough.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Hence why I'm eager to be classed as RUK
    Ring them up and explain that you consider yourself to be an RUK student (and will be applying for student support and finance from SFE to cover £9k fees). They should be able to tell if your fee status had an affect on your rejection and if so send you a fee status questionnaire.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeroline1999)
    EU and UK students are counted as the same quota so it wouldn't have affected you application at all. I'm sorry to say, but you just weren't good enough.
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...8&postcount=28

PQ would know. PQ is an expert.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Ring them up and explain that you consider yourself to be an RUK student (and will be applying for student support and finance from SFE to cover £9k fees). They should be able to tell if your fee status had an affect on your rejection and if so send you a fee status questionnaire.
    Just to clarify, I was rejected last year, but not this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...8&postcount=28

PQ would know. PQ is an expert.
    So I'm right then? They are classed together. Because EU law says that a country must treat other EU citizens in accordance to how they treat their own. Like in terms of education, healthcare, welfare etc.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeroline1999)
    So I'm right then? They are classed together. Because EU law says that a country must treat other EU citizens in accordance to how they treat their own. Like in terms of education, healthcare, welfare etc.
    No, EU and Scottish students are in the same quota due to their low fees in Scottish unis. There are no caps on how many RUK (N.I, Welsh and English) and International students an uni can take because we pay fees of £9k and over.

ReputationRep:
    I just want to know why you're prioritizing slightly easier entrance to uni over paying significantly less in uni fees?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pairofjeans)
    I just want to know why you're prioritizing slightly easier entrance to uni over paying significantly less in uni fees?
    Because if I go to a English uni it's 9k, so I've kind of signed up for that anyway. I would rather have an easier entry than pay less.

ReputationRep:
    Just rang Edinburgh and St Andrews. Ed told me yes you are EU, SA told me most likely RUK.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Just rang Edinburgh and St Andrews. Ed told me yes you are EU, SA told me most likely RUK.
    The joys of fee status.

It ultimately comes down to the university concerned to determine your fee status.

I'd definitely recommend contacting them in writing and explaining that you'll be applying for a tuition loan and maintenance loan from Student Finance England assuming that they'll charge you the RUK rate.

Ed may be basing it on their assessment last year - you can always ask them to reassess you fully.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.