Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feel like I'm unfairly being classed as an EU student by Scottish universities Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    The joys of fee status.

It ultimately comes down to the university concerned to determine your fee status.

I'd definitely recommend contacting them in writing and explaining that you'll be applying for a tuition loan and maintenance loan from Student Finance England assuming that they'll charge you the RUK rate.

Ed may be basing it on their assessment last year - you can always ask them to reassess you fully.
    Ahaha yes. I may well do. Have given SA the necessary docs and hope i'm RUK as that is a much harder course to get onto I imagine. Ed is ABB and my predictions are 2A*sA so hopefully won't matter too much there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    There is a quota - Scottish universities have strict limits on the number of Scottish/EU entrants they can admit. There's no similar limit to international or RUK entrants as the funding for those students is not subsidised by the Scottish Government.
    Probably an arrangement in Scotland - EU/Intendationals make up most of the class in some universities in England
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    Probably an arrangement in Scotland - EU/Intendationals make up most of the class in some universities in England
    Yes

We're talking specifically about Scottish universities who charge lower fees to Scottish and EU students than to students from the rest of the UK.

The places with lower fees are heavily subsidised by SHEFC and to manage their budget there are caps on the number of Scottish and EU students at Scottish universities. There's no cap on students from the rest of the UK.

The OP is not confused. A RUK fee status IS likely to improve their chances of an offer compared to an EU status.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.