The Student Room Group

I'm a Cambridge reject and I'm thinking of reapplying next year

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill
It's just a small hassle. It's perfectly fine and many many students do it.

The hassle is largely avoided if the student STARTS on the longer course at the outset, but really it's not a big deal to change part way through :smile:

If the person was at another uni (say from september until january) and then dropped out and started in october, that would be 4 years wouldn't it? Which would be covered by the loan?
Reply 21
So it seems to me that reapplying to Oxford while at another uni is a much easier option than Cambridge. Oxford also don't seem to require a reference from someone specifically at your current uni, which makes things less awkward.

I'm not very keen on the idea of taking a gap year anyways. Unless you're doing something rather outstanding, the gap year only hurts. I don't want to reject the offer I already have from UCL either, even if I get top grades. I've heard that universities don't like giving someone an offer next year after they've already rejected one last year and I don't want to run the risk of not ending up anywhere if i get rejected by oxbridge a second time as well.

All in all this seems like a lot of work and time just to get into oxbridge, that too transferring from a place like UCL (best case scenario). Is it really worth it? This has left me confused.
Reply 22
Original post by auburnstar
If the person was at another uni (say from september until january) and then dropped out and started in october, that would be 4 years wouldn't it? Which would be covered by the loan?

Yes.

As would doing the same (dropping out) but moving to a longer course. The "dropped out" year is covered in both scenarios.
Original post by jneill

No they allow the longer course without problems if it's an undergrad course. So moving from a BSc at UCL to an MSci (or MEng, or whatever) at Cambridge (or anywhere) is not a problem.

Hmm, that's not what I heard from my college tutors when I looked (briefly) into transferring unis before - apparently because I was on a three year course at Cambridge and had used up one of those years, that gave me a MAX of three years left of funding (including the grace year), but maybe the situation has changed.

Original post by jneill

The hassle is largely avoided if the student STARTS on the longer course at the outset, but really it's not a big deal to change part way through :smile:

Unfortunately not an option at Cambridge though, since entry to the fourth year is competitive and all students are only admitted initially onto the BA :frown:
OP: probably best to ask the Student Finance guy floating around on TSR somewhere about the student finance issue :smile:
Original post by DashBox
All in all this seems like a lot of work and time just to get into oxbridge, that too transferring from a place like UCL (best case scenario). Is it really worth it? This has left me confused.

(Assuming your attained grades are equal or exceed your teachers' predictions)

Worse case scenario:
- You spend the time between getting results and interviews doing lots of wider reading, chasing up teachers for reference, writing the submitted work, and waste 24 pounds for UCAS and 30 pounds for a train ticket. You might cry for a bit. And you still get to stay at UCL

Best case scenario:
- You get an unconditional offer to Oxford

Yes, it is definitely worth it - offer or not.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by DashBox
So it seems to me that reapplying to Oxford while at another uni is a much easier option than Cambridge. Oxford also don't seem to require a reference from someone specifically at your current uni, which makes things less awkward.

I'm not very keen on the idea of taking a gap year anyways. Unless you're doing something rather outstanding, the gap year only hurts. I don't want to reject the offer I already have from UCL either, even if I get top grades. I've heard that universities don't like giving someone an offer next year after they've already rejected one last year and I don't want to run the risk of not ending up anywhere if i get rejected by oxbridge a second time as well.

Well hold on. Oxford says "If possible, your reference should come from one of the academic staff at your current university."
https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/547/related/1

Gap years are great! A perfect opportunity to stretch yourself (or just chill) before resuming full time education.

Also, Cambridge WELCOMES re-applicants (or gap year applicants). Only mathmos have a bit of an uphill task. For everyone else a gap year is absolutely fine and not uncommon. Just ensure you exceed the typical offer to be competitive, and usually it's best to apply to a different college.

Oh and UCL (and anyone else) will re-offer you if you reapply with good achieved grades. Universities don't hold grudges... :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Hmm, that's not what I heard from my college tutors when I looked (briefly) into transferring unis before - apparently because I was on a three year course at Cambridge and had used up one of those years, that gave me a MAX of three years left of funding (including the grace year), but maybe the situation has changed.

Unfortunately not an option at Cambridge though, since entry to the fourth year is competitive and all students are only admitted initially onto the BA :frown:

Honestly, it isn't a problem to add the 4th year for a Part III for SFE. It's just paperwork (or whatever the online equivalent is).
Reply 28
Alright, so the plan of action now then is to firm UCL and wait for my results. If I get exceptional results (I'm thinking 3 A*s or higher) then I have a good chance of getting into oxbridge (I do prefer cambridge) after taking a gap year and turning down all my offers. If, however I do not get exceptional results (2 A* or less, my offer from UCL is A*AA), I simply go to UCL and then re-apply for Oxford?

Also, auburnstar, could you clarify which scenario you're talking about? I assume it's the second one.
Reply 29
Original post by jneill
Well hold on. Oxford says "If possible, your reference should come from one of the academic staff at your current university."
https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/547/related/1

Gap years are great! A perfect opportunity to stretch yourself (or just chill) before resuming full time education.

Also, Cambridge WELCOMES re-applicants (or gap year applicants). Only mathmos have a bit of an uphill task. For everyone else a gap year is absolutely fine and not uncommon. Just ensure you exceed the typical offer to be competitive, and usually it's best to apply to a different college.

Oh and UCL (and anyone else) will re-offer you if you reapply with good achieved grades. Universities don't hold grudges... :smile:

Oxford might say that on their website, it doesn't seem true to me though. I reapplied to Oxford this year while attending uni in my home country, the course started at 17th October - the deadline was the 15th. And I wasn't too keen on asking people here about it anyways. I asked probably half of Oxford (I was incredibly concerned throughout the whole process and asked at various colleges) and I can for sure say that at least the handful of colleges I spoke to said that a reference from school was completely fine and that they didn't care about what I was doing in the year (attending uni didn't make a difference). So OP, I would just recommend you to go for the better place :biggrin:

I can confirm that universities don't hold grudges though, I reapplied to Warwick and they offered me a place even earlier than before. (They just were a bit more into this whole "we need a confirmation from a current uni" thing which I found a bit weird, they made it a condition of the offer) - actually really weird cause Oxford didn't require anything from my current uni. They also made my offer unconditional, they don't even care if I finish this year or drop out :biggrin: (which is the ultimate motivation killer, really)

@Qwerty178 is probably able to say more about reapplying from UCL (to Oxford - in the hope OP comes to his senses and chooses the better uni :biggrin:)
Reply 30
Original post by DashBox
Alright, so the plan of action now then is to firm UCL and wait for my results. If I get exceptional results (I'm thinking 3 A*s or higher) then I have a good chance of getting into oxbridge (I do prefer cambridge) after taking a gap year and turning down all my offers. If, however I do not get exceptional results (2 A* or less, my offer from UCL is A*AA), I simply go to UCL and then re-apply for Oxford?

SLAP

(Sounds like a plan) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DashBox

Also, auburnstar, could you clarify which scenario you're talking about? I assume it's the second one.

Yes, I was talking about the second scenario but my comments about filling out UCAS before Oct 15th and references and such would still stand.
Original post by DashBox
Hey guys, first, some information about me. I'm in year 13 right now doing Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Further Maths A levels. As the title says, I got rejected by Cambridge, Trinity College, for Natural Sciences MSci this week.

Now, disappointments aside, I'm thinking of reapplying next year, perhaps not to the same course/ college though. I already hold offers from UCL, uni of York, Nottingham uni and Lancaster uni. Now before anyone points out that these are great unis, hear me out. This is what I'm thinking:

I put UCL as my firm choice and hopefully if I get the grades, I join it in September this year. However, at the same time I start reapplying to Cambridge (or Oxford for that matter). If I get in, I formally transfer universities and be potentially behind a year, but does that really matter if you're an oxbridge graduate? and if I don't get in, mehh, life goes on and I graduate from UCL (hopefully). This way, I avoid a gap year (unless someone can give me something academically worthwhile to do during the gap year). So, how does it sound?

I do have some conundrums regarding this plan. Firstly, if I do get into UCL, is oxbridge really that much better than UCL? Secondly, how does this affect my finance situation? I will be taking out a student loan.

So, any light to be shed on my situation? I'm happy to provide more details and I'm, well, kinda stuck here.

Edit: I will be applying for a 4 year MSci, oxbridge or otherwise
Edit # 2: Just to be clear, I'm thinking of reapplying either to Cambridge or Oxford, whilst doing my first year at another university (UCL if all goes well).

I've had friends who applied to uni 3 years in a row cos they badly wanted to get into oxbridge or the 5 london unis. In the end they never made it and for a few years they either stayed at home just staring at the walls and living off benefits or they did odd jobs here and there.

If I can be honest it doesn't really matter which uni you graduate from. Yes it may appear somewhat important before, during and after your UCAS application and when you're in uni but once you graduate and go into the working world, you will realise my point. I only realized this when I did internships at a couple of banks.
Reply 33
Original post by scblx

in the hope OP comes to his senses and chooses the better uni :biggrin:)

uhh, clarify please :smile:
Original post by scblx
Oxford might say that on their website, it doesn't seem true to me though. I reapplied to Oxford this year while attending uni in my home country, the course started at 17th October - the deadline was the 15th. And I wasn't too keen on asking people here about it anyways. I asked probably half of Oxford (I was incredibly concerned throughout the whole process and asked at various colleges) and I can for sure say that at least the handful of colleges I spoke to said that a reference from school was completely fine and that they didn't care about what I was doing in the year (attending uni didn't make a difference). So OP, I would just recommend you to go for the better place :biggrin:

I can confirm that universities don't hold grudges though, I reapplied to Warwick and they offered me a place even earlier than before. (They just were a bit more into this whole "we need a confirmation from a current uni" thing which I found a bit weird, they made it a condition of the offer) - actually really weird cause Oxford didn't require anything from my current uni. They also made my offer unconditional, they don't even care if I finish this year or drop out :biggrin: (which is the ultimate motivation killer, really)

@Qwerty178 is probably able to say more about reapplying from UCL (to Oxford - in the hope OP comes to his senses and chooses the better uni :biggrin:)

Yeah, can confirm, I got into Balliol without having to have any contact or mention of my current uni (at least up until the interview, where I had to explain why I want to go to Oxford instead, and they just said ok). I had asked Balliol admissions about it before, and they just said a reference from school is fine. Just told UCL that I'm dropping out cause I got an offer from Oxford and they said ok, we can't stop you.
Original post by Audrey18
I've had friends who applied to uni 3 years in a row cos they badly wanted to get into oxbridge or the 5 london unis. In the end they never made it and for a few years they either stayed at home just staring at the walls and living off benefits or they did odd jobs here and there.

If I can be honest it doesn't really matter which uni you graduate from. Yes it may appear somewhat important before, during and after your UCAS application and when you're in uni but once you graduate and go into the working world, you will realise my point. I only realized this when I did internships at a couple of banks.

Disagree with the bolded. Oxbridge and prestigious US unis (eg stanford, harvard, yale etc) are a class in and of themselves. Russell Group is also very highly regarded (along with St Andrews, Bath etc). If we are talking about the difference between different RG unis excluding Oxbridge, you're probably right. If we're talking about ambition and dedication to get yourself anywhere, whilst uni will make a difference (esp for the first 5 years before experience), undoubtedly grit is a necessary quality.

I doubt OP is of the kind to stare at walls, sounds like they worked pretty hard (and are clearly dedicated). Whilst I wouldn't reapply more than once (a triple rejection is bound to hurt a lot), reapplying following a gap year or a year somewhere else is pretty reasonable - esp if OP was considering it anyways.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by auburnstar
Disagree with the bolded. Oxbridge and Ivy League are a class in and of themselves. Russell Group is also very highly regarded. If we are talking about the difference between different RG unis excluding Oxbridge, you're probably right. If we're talking about ambition and dedication to get yourself anywhere, whilst uni will make a difference (esp for the first 5 years before experience), undoubtedly grit is a necessary quality.

I doubt OP is of the kind to stare at walls, sounds like they worked pretty hard (and are clearly dedicated). Whilst I wouldn't reapply more than once (a triple rejection is bound to hurt a lot), reapplying following a gap year or a year somewhere else is pretty reasonable - esp if OP was considering it anyways.

Respectfully disagree with the bolded. Caltech, Stanford, UC Berkeley, UCLA etc... are not Ivy League Universities. Peking University or National University of Singapore plus a couple of Australian Universities can be arguably construed as better than Brown University or Dartmouth University, both of which are Ivy League Universities. No they are not on a class of their own entirely. Would also like to add that non-RG universities such as St Andrews, Bath, Loughborough etc... are also highly regarded.

I agree with the second paragraph though :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by Qwerty178
Just told UCL that I'm dropping out cause I got an offer from Oxford and they said ok, we can't stop you.

Do you have to notify UCL before making an application (to oxford) or inform them that you are in the process of one? Or is it literally just as simple as (if you get an offer), telling them one day that you want to drop out and that's it? How does it all exactly work?
Honestly, a bit of advice... Let it go and move on.

Ask yourself what your motivation for applying again is? Is it to prove them/yourself wrong? Or do you genuinely believe that something has happened this year that has improved you in their eyes? Have you grown?

Also a Cambridge reject and I went to Imperial this year. A lot of people spent those first few weeks getting over themselves and their rejections and everyone's over it now.

UCL is (imperial banter aside) a fantastic uni. You'll probably have a better time of it too...
Original post by DashBox
Hey guys, first, some information about me. I'm in year 13 right now doing Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Further Maths A levels. As the title says, I got rejected by Cambridge, Trinity College, for Natural Sciences MSci this week.

Now, disappointments aside, I'm thinking of reapplying next year, perhaps not to the same course/ college though. I already hold offers from UCL, uni of York, Nottingham uni and Lancaster uni. Now before anyone points out that these are great unis, hear me out. This is what I'm thinking:

I put UCL as my firm choice and hopefully if I get the grades, I join it in September this year. However, at the same time I start reapplying to Cambridge (or Oxford for that matter). If I get in, I formally transfer universities and be potentially behind a year, but does that really matter if you're an oxbridge graduate? and if I don't get in, mehh, life goes on and I graduate from UCL (hopefully). This way, I avoid a gap year (unless someone can give me something academically worthwhile to do during the gap year). So, how does it sound?

I do have some conundrums regarding this plan. Firstly, if I do get into UCL, is oxbridge really that much better than UCL? Secondly, how does this affect my finance situation? I will be taking out a student loan.

So, any light to be shed on my situation? I'm happy to provide more details and I'm, well, kinda stuck here.

Edit: I will be applying for a 4 year MSci, oxbridge or otherwise
Edit # 2: Just to be clear, I'm thinking of reapplying either to Cambridge or Oxford, whilst doing my first year at another university (UCL if all goes well).

I think you're exaggerating the gulf in prospects over graduating at Cambridge over UCL. I always wonder if Oxbridge grads are successful because they went to Oxbridge, or because they had the grades/ECs. I presume it's the latter - if you had the grades to have a practical chance of getting in, you shouldn't worry, and UCL will be fine for any job. My friend is doing Law at Cardiff Uni, she has 11A*, 3A* 1A and plenty of internships. My other friend, at LSE, has 5A* 4A 2B, A*AAA and just revises a lot. Who would you pick? Track it back to your circumstances and realise, as long as you've gotten into a good university, it's you from this point, not the university name.

I say that it's important to have gone into a good uni, as this has an impact on the accreditation of the degree, and the fact the grade of the degree is decided, relative to the students in your cohort. Hence, the same person is going to find it harder to get a first at Imperial, compared to London Met. Once you reach a certain threshold of quality in regards to a uni, e.g. Russel group, or to a further extreme G5, I don't think the name matters much

I wouldn't reapply. The only times I recommend people reapply is if they a) didn't get into any great unis or b) didn't get into the course they want (which usually applies to medicine/dentistry).

Hope this helps.

Edit: if you're in the science research, you can just do a PhD at Cambridge, and if you do very well in your MSci, you can get most/all of it funded.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending