Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Simple Harmonic Oscillator model for diatomic molecules Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi i need some help in understanding this question...

"A real diatomic molecule does not behave exactly like a simple harmonic oscillator. The SHO model becomes progressively worse as the vibrational energy is increased.
    WHY?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by franniexo)
    Hi i need some help in understanding this question...

"A real diatomic molecule does not behave exactly like a simple harmonic oscillator. The SHO model becomes progressively worse as the vibrational energy is increased.
    WHY?"

The model closest to what actually is the case is the anharmonic oscillator (in blue)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kamara7)

The model closest to what actually is the case is the anharmonic oscillator (in blue)
    I understand that bit, but for the Simple H. model the graph doesn't plateau out, what does that mean about the bonds of the vibrating molecule? :/

ReputationRep:
    I understand that bit, but for the Simple H. model the graph doesn't plateau out, what does that mean about the bonds of the vibrating molecule? :/
    The simple harmonic model doesn't plateau out, absolutely right.
    The plateau you see for an actual diatomic potential energy corresponds to the fact that the bond breaks if it gains too much energy.

In the harmonic model, as you stretch the bond the restoring force gets bigger and bigger, so if a bond were really harmonic you could never actually break it!

ReputationRep:
    The fact that the SHO doesn't plateau out is why it isn't a good model: in reality as the particles get a significant distance apart from each other, the bond breaks, as shown by the other model, but the SHO doesn't really show that very well, which is why is only approximately valid when the bond length is near the equilibrium point (near the rest position). That's my understanding of it at least

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys!
    No problem!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.