Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Not sure whether or not I should wear a blazer for my first interview :/

Planning on wearing a skirt and a smart shirt but blazers always tend to look strange on me yet my parents are saying I should wear one. Will I look out of place or not?

ReputationRep:
    Na it would look fine with it and it looks quite professional

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak28)
    Not sure whether or not I should wear a blazer for my first interview :/

Planning on wearing a skirt and a smart shirt but blazers always tend to look strange on me yet my parents are saying I should wear one. Will I look out of place or not?
    Whatever you feel most comfortable in. They won't be judging you on your clothes. Whether you have a blazer or not will not form your offer. As long as you're smart and presentable, as I'm sure you will be as you've already stated you're wearing a smart shirt and skirt, you'll be fine.

Don't stress over the clothes, you have enough to be worrying/thinking about! It really doesn't matter, as long as you're not in jeans and a t-shirt :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayAhm)
    Whatever you feel most comfortable in. They won't be judging you on your clothes.
    Subconsciously, they will. Like it or not, we all make snap judgements on people by their appearance. I doubt blazer/no blazer will make a massive difference in the outcome of the interview but looking as professional as you can will give you a better impression with the interviewer(s), which may help to tip the scale if you're borderline.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CTLevers)
    Subconsciously, they will. Like it or not, we all make snap judgements on people by their appearance. I doubt blazer/no blazer will make a massive difference in the outcome of the interview but looking as professional as you can will give you a better impression with the interviewer(s), which may help to tip the scale if you're borderline.
    Oh of course. I judge people all the time on their choice of clothing.

What I'm saying though is, as long as you're smart, the interviewers are going to be professional enough to not let their personal opinions of your clothes interfere with the offer. An interviewer might love a blazer, one might hate one. You can't pre-empt that. Plus they have enough other criteria for you to meet and score you on. And don't forget that there isn't just the one interviewer.

Basically: dress smart - what you feel comfortable in. You don't want to be in that interviewer fidgeting because you don't normally wear a blazer or don't like it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.