Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Trying to lose the final half a stone - help/advice Watch

• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Hello, for just over a year i've been going to the gym and trying to lose weight. I've become more motivated in the past few months and admittedly it was during this time that i actually lost most of my weight. I have gone from 10 stone to about 8.6, with my aim to be 8 stone by the summer. I feel like im stuck in a rut, i go to the gym most days and eat healthy. My main enjoyment and focus at the gym is running, but i've noticed i've just been gaining alot of muscle recently, adding to my weight which is not the figure which im aiming towards. I run at 9-12.5 kph on the treadmill for around 35-50 minutes most days and was wondering what speed is best to lose weight but not gain too much muscle as i do not want bulky or athletic thighs, my motivation is a more slender figure.

Additionally i am trying to improve my arm strength as i do well in cardio/endurance acitivities and yet struggle doing a single push up. I want to tone up my arms, and wondering what excercises would be best for a beginner as i know it is hard to spot reduce fat.

Any help or advice is appreciated
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Good work!

Realistically i doubt you've built much muscle from running. When you lose more fat your legs will shrink however your body may just hold more fat there and therefore aiming for tiny thin legs might be unrealistic

Running speed won't effect anything really

Read the FAQ, it'll help you.

It isn't difficult to spot reduce fat, it is IMPOSSIBLE. You cannot spot reduce fat.

You simply have to exercise more-eat less if you want to lose that last bit of weight
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unistudent77)
    Good work!

Realistically i doubt you've built much muscle from running. When you lose more fat your legs will shrink however your body may just hold more fat there and therefore aiming for tiny thin legs might be unrealistic

Running speed won't effect anything really

Read the FAQ, it'll help you.

It isn't difficult to spot reduce fat, it is IMPOSSIBLE. You cannot spot reduce fat.

You simply have to exercise more-eat less if you want to lose that last bit of weight
    Ah ok i'll have a look at them, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~ Aquamarine ~)
    Hello, for just over a year i've been going to the gym and trying to lose weight. I've become more motivated in the past few months and admittedly it was during this time that i actually lost most of my weight. I have gone from 10 stone to about 8.6, with my aim to be 8 stone by the summer. I feel like im stuck in a rut, i go to the gym most days and eat healthy. My main enjoyment and focus at the gym is running, but i've noticed i've just been gaining alot of muscle recently, adding to my weight which is not the figure which im aiming towards. I run at 9-12.5 kph on the treadmill for around 35-50 minutes most days and was wondering what speed is best to lose weight but not gain too much muscle as i do not want bulky or athletic thighs, my motivation is a more slender figure.

Additionally i am trying to improve my arm strength as i do well in cardio/endurance acitivities and yet struggle doing a single push up. I want to tone up my arms, and wondering what excercises would be best for a beginner as i know it is hard to spot reduce fat.

Any help or advice is appreciated
    Hey! Try not to focus so much on your weight, personally I think waist/leg/ect. measurements are a better way to track what you're doing because muscle just weighs so much more than fat-even if it's just a tiny amount! (also how much you've ate/drank/gone to the toilet that day makes a difference too)
    Also remember that with excercise of any kind comes muscle. But that's not necessarily a bad thing, muscle gives tone which looks good! Plus you'll never end up bulky from cardio alone, heck I do a tonne of olympic lifting and I'm still not bulky!
    For the push ups, I'd start with light dumbell push press/shoulder press first and build up the rep pattern, increasing the weight a tiny bit. This will build a bit of strengh which will make push ups easier.
    How healthy do you eat? Do you drink lots of water? I find green tea helps a lot
    Good luck!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fergijane88)
    Hey! Try not to focus so much on your weight, personally I think waist/leg/ect. measurements are a better way to track what you're doing because muscle just weighs so much more than fat-even if it's just a tiny amount! (also how much you've ate/drank/gone to the toilet that day makes a difference too)
    Also remember that with excercise of any kind comes muscle. But that's not necessarily a bad thing, muscle gives tone which looks good! Plus you'll never end up bulky from cardio alone, heck I do a tonne of olympic lifting and I'm still not bulky!
    For the push ups, I'd start with light dumbell push press/shoulder press first and build up the rep pattern, increasing the weight a tiny bit. This will build a bit of strengh which will make push ups easier.
    How healthy do you eat? Do you drink lots of water? I find green tea helps a lot
    Good luck!
    Hi, thank you for your reply i drink alot of water and green tea occasionally but starting to drink more which is good. I started trying the shoulder press recently which is hard but will try and build up and stick with it and hopefully will see results!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.