Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone here diagnosed with Schizophrenia/Psychosis? Watch

ReputationRep:
    And have you had any relapses? What were they like? Are you worried about the stigma attached to mental illness and your future career because of it? Do you think smoking weed cause it or something else?

ReputationRep:
    how could smoking weed cause manic depression?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qinge)
    I smoked weed. Now I have skitzophrenia. Plus, there are studies that indicate there's a link. However, this thread isn't for debate on that.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Not all psychosis comes from smoking weed, you know ... :erm:

To answer your other questions (assuming it's a genuine question):

I have schizoaffective disorder (depressive type), so yes, I have a diagnosis of psychosis. (Schizoaffective disorder is like a cross between schizophrenia and bipolar.) I have various episodes (which I guess could be termed relapses :dontknow: ) throughout the year, every year. They can be quite unpleasant and sometimes dangerous (for myself, not others). Fortunately the length of my episodes has decreased over the years: the first one lasted about 6-8 months minimum (I lost track of when it ended, ultimately), whereas now the maximum tends to be about 3 months. Which can still feel like a long time but is at least a bit more manageable.

I'm not particularly bothered by stigma most of the time. You do come across ignorant twerps, both online and IRL, but I see it as my job to educate them (if they seem to have at least a few brain cells worth reasoning with) :yep: My parents are very much bothered by the stigma, because of reactions from the community and how they would be ostracised somewhat and it could be difficult for my sisters to marry if it were known within the Sri Lankan community the exact nature of my illness.

I have had job opportunities fall through but you have to look on the bright side of those kinda things: if they treat me like that, then they're hardly someone I want to work for anyway :eek:

No one is quite sure what caused my psychosis but it's thought to be part biological, but largely environmental and personality-based :yes:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I have psychotic episodes, mainly hallucinations and voices, however it's marked down as 'pseudo' as I am quite self aware and know that they are not really. (Also that they are not my worst diagnosis).

The stigma terrifies me deep down, though no one knows that. Except my mental health nurse. The stigma of numerous PDs and how I hear and see things that aren't really there, that I sometimes feel as if I'm being watched, followed or controlled, it scares me in real life. I think that is one of the reasons why I haven't got friends at uni; it is easy to tell that I am different, but I'm scared that people would want to have nothing to do with me, thanks to what I have. Also that I'm not really a people person anyway :laugh:

As for career wise, well, I'm ruled out from serving in the forces (not that I want to) and I doubt I will ever be in any sort of position handling power/secrets. But I want to do something with history, so I think what I have won't harm me there. Of course, explaining it to employers (even part time ones at uni) will and has been difficult, so I try to make it 'light' ie yes, I have all these things, but don't worry about me, I can take care of it, you won't ever be bothered if I'm seeing things etc, I'll still come into work kind of thing.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I have a diagnosis of schizophrenia and I've been struggling with my mental health for about 11 years now. In that time, I have had a lot of ups and downs, which I guess could be called relapses. For me, I'd call relapsing when the voices get a lot more aggressive and louder and on their orders I either hurt myself or plan to kill myself. I've been admitted to hospital 3 times because of that. A lot of the time however I do manage to stay in the community and deal with them myself - after so many years you kind of develop strategies to cope.

I do worry a lot about the stigma and my future. IRL, only my spouse, mum, and dad know about my diagnosis for anyone else I'm just depressed. When I was a kid it was my dream to be a policeofficer, needless to say that will never happen now. I'm currently at university studying something which leads directly to a certain career however I'm doing really badly in my classes, what with the inability to concentrate, the lack of motivation, and the side effects from my medication.

There is a pretty significant history of mental illness in my family, with both my older siblings having seen psychiatrists for reasons I don't even know. Other than that mental illness is very hush hush in my extended family so I have no idea if any of my many cousins or their parents have any mental illness. Even my parents won't talk about my siblings. I have told my younger sibling not to smoke weed because I'm aware that a lot of people say it can trigger mental illness in those predisposed to it, so I had to tell him but it's his choice. I haven't told my sibling my diagnosis just that me and his other siblings all have seen psychiatrists.

I have unspecified psychosis and despite my illness, I am somehow doing exceptionally well. Averaging 80% in my coursework and exams, however, my cognitive abilities (memory, concentration, focus, attention) have diminished. I've been feeling really paranoid, depressed and extremely suicidal.

My psychiatrist has assured me that I don't have schizophrenia, nor does my psychiatrist think I'm "delusional". This is great because in summary of what I think - **** having schizophrenia! It's an absolutely horrible illness and is chronic. My psychosis has been persistant since late 2015, and I've been hearing voices everyday (with an exception of 3 days where they went quiet, oddly).

I've been prescribed a total of two antidepressants (fluoxetine and sertraline) and two antipsychotics (olanzapine and quetiapine).

Fluoxetine didn't work, sertraline did work but I stopped taking it because I thought my psychiatrist was poisoning me, olanzapine was stopped because of the weight gain and quetiapine is what I've been on for a week.

Having psychosis is ****ing aweful. People glamourize being insane but have a stigma on mental illness (if I got a £ for everytime someone either said "it's all in you head" or "you don't have real problems", I'd be a millionaire).

It's not something you can fully understand unless you actually experience it, in my opinion.

Hoping to apply to KCL for my masters and St George's UoL for my MBBS. I know it may sound out of the blue, but I'm just trying to say that whatever you want to do, or be, doesn't have to be limited due to your illness. Mental or physical. This is the one shot you get at life. A precious life. Irrespective of the difficulties you face, fight them with everything you have. Prove everyone, even yourself wrong.

Smoking weed is a contributive factor, but I've never smoked it. It makes you more supseptible to having it, like sugar to diabetes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qinge)
    Manic depression is bipolar disorder, not schizophrenia

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.