Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    I am thinking about A level options and I was wondering how big the jump is from GCSE biology to A level biology. Can anyone kinda sum up what you learn? I think the exam board will be either AQA or edexcel. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becksagogo)
    Hey guys,
    I am thinking about A level options and I was wondering how big the jump is from GCSE biology to A level biology. Can anyone kinda sum up what you learn? I think the exam board will be either AQA or edexcel. Thanks!
    the content isnt too hard to understand, its mainly the amount of content i cant speak for the new specification but the amount of content we did for the whole gcse is equivalent to one out of 4 papers we had to do for alevel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a-spiringmedic)
    the content isnt too hard to understand, its mainly the amount of content i cant speak for the new specification but the amount of content we did for the whole gcse is equivalent to one out of 4 papers we had to do for alevel.
    Thanks! I had no idea that they had changed the A levels but they did for GCSE but only affects us in Maths and English

ReputationRep:
    I do the new spec OCR biology, the topics from GCSE that they build on is fine, but there definitely is newer more difficult content, especially in the new spec which they've made harder. If you manage well at GCSE you should be perfectly fine though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shan_non)
    I do the new spec OCR biology, the topics from GCSE that they build on is fine, but there definitely is newer more difficult content, especially in the new spec which they've made harder. If you manage well at GCSE you should be perfectly fine though.
    Fingers crossed I do ok, I just took the biology mock and I think I did fine The only subjects I am badly struggling at are business studies and geography (physical geography). Otherwise all going well

ReputationRep:
    I remember when I was doing A levels in 2010-2012. I chose Chem, Physics, Maths and Biology. I'd say I enjoyed Bio the least as it wasnt interesting to me. I wouldn't say its necessarily hard but rather theres a lot of stuff you have to remember. If you're good at memorising then it'd be fine I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Truth_Hurts99)
    I remember when I was doing A levels in 2010-2012. I chose Chem, Physics, Maths and Biology. I'd say I enjoyed Bio the least as it wasnt interesting to me. I wouldn't say its necessarily hard but rather theres a lot of stuff you have to remember. If you're good at memorising then it'd be fine I guess.
    I would say I am decent at memorizing but the only problem is putting it into context. For example answering questions with worth lots of marks (12 mark questions, 20 mark questions etc). It just freaks me out seeing questions worth so many marks

ReputationRep:
    The longest answer questions I've had in biology so far is 10 marks, and it's always on something that there's loads to write about, like cell structure.
    I do Sociology too and essays are 20 and 30 marks😂

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    I'm doing the new AQA Biology specification. And I must admit everyone I've spoken to are finding it difficult, I think it is more the breath of knowledge you need to know rather than the actual content so if you have a natural interest in it like I do that's what will keep you going throughout the course. It definitely requires a lot of extra work at home in order to consolidate it all. Obviously there is more content to learn at A level than at GCSE but you have less subjects so you can focus on it more. I also do business, geography and Art so Biology is the subject I spend most of my time outside of school on. Check out the specifications for both exam boards, it probably won't mean much to you at this point. Currently we've learnt about Biological Molecules which is Chemistry based but I think it's easier than the other unit of cells. As there is a lot more to learn and understand for cells. Here's a quick summary:

Biological Molecules:
    Carbohydrates
    Lipids
    Proteins
    Enzymes
    DNA & RNA
    Energy & ATP
    Water

Cells:
    Microscopes
    Eukaryotic & Prokaryotic cells (animals, bacterial & viral)
    Mitosis- which is in a lot more detail than GCSE
    The cell cycle
    Diffusion
    Osmosis
    Active Transport
    Co-transport
    The immune system- phagocytosis, vaccines etc

The other units which I haven't done yet are:
    Exchange & Genetics

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions feel free to message me.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    OP, it's not that big a jump. There is a lot of stuff to learn though so you do need to be prepared to put in the hours.

I got an A at GCSE bio, and then an A last year at AS bio and predicted an A* overall in biology (doing a Biomed degree next year) so feel free to ask me any questions

ReputationRep:
    The content itself isn't difficult to understand, but I think the hardest thing about A Level Biology is the sheer volume of it all.
    You also have to be quite strong in your practical skills now because a large percentage of the exam(s) now assess your knowledge of the practicals you did throughout the course.
    EDIT: you also can't just get away with memorising all of the material, since at A Level you are expected to apply it to unfamiliar situations which can sometimes be very difficult

Spoiler:
    Show

dreading the AQA paper 3 in year 13 which covers absolutely everything

ReputationRep:
    it's all about the application
    Id say its challenging

ReputationRep:
    Im doing the ocr AS exams this year and did the 2016 paper as a mock and got an A. It's fairly easy, just read the questions properly. I noticed with ocr theres less application/ application questions sticks stricty to the textbook content compared to AQA which doesnt, which makes it easier. But the practical parts are really hard though and at Alevels the questions never repeat as much as the GCSE exams.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    The new spec is dirty, absolutely ****ing disgusting. I say this because it's linear, so we all now have to learn two years of ****ing biology - that's like 5 GCSEs in itself in terms of content.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.