Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

2-bromo-3-chlorobutane or 3-bromo-2-chloro-butane Watch

ReputationRep:
    I know it isn't the Blue Book, but...

https://www.iupac.org/fileadmin/user_upload/publications/recommendations/CompleteDraft.pdf

Page 387 assigns seniority F > Cl > Br > I

...and page 42 says they are written alphabetically.

Which makes 3-bromo-2-chloro-butane correct.

Correct?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)

https://www.iupac.org/fileadmin/user_upload/publications/recommendations/CompleteDraft.pdf

Correct?
    google thinks it's 2-bromo-3-chlorobutane

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)

Correct?
    the substituent groups are almost always written alphabetically, so yes, 3-bromo-2-chloro-butane is correct

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MexicanKeith)
    google thinks it's 2-bromo-3-chlorobutane
    We were told do them in numerical order too. e.g. 2-methyl,3-ethylpentane

ReputationRep:
    Yup I believe the seniority determines the locant number. Higher seniority = assign lower locant. So since chlorine has higher seniority than bromine it is on second carbon and bromine is on third carbon. In nomenclature when writing prefix we use alphabetical order.

Hence 3-bromo-2-chlorobutane is correct. The numbers are assigned by seniority and the order in which they are written is alphabetical

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CTLevers)
    We were told do them in numerical order too. e.g. 2-methyl,3-ethylpentane
    -ethyl and -methyl have no seniority over each other, so should be written alphabetically and then their numbering is then based on their position in the alphabet. 3-ethyl-2-methylpentane is what you should have put.

Whereas halogens show seniority to each other, which overrules alphabetics in assigning their locant position, but not their order when written.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.