Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

Hey! It's Aisha here, I'm currently a Year 12 student doing my AS Levels. I don't plan on completing the A Levels since I'm going for a Foundation Programme/Pathway entry in the 3 universities I've directly applied to.

[This thread is a Grow Your Grades 2017 entry.]

Academic background
    9 IGCSE
    Spoiler:
    Show

(Edexcel) Geography A*
    (Edexcel) Maths A*
    (Edexcel) English Literature A
    (Edexcel) Biology A
    (Edexcel) Business Studies A
    (Edexcel) Economics A
    (Cambridge) Design & Technology A
    (Cambridge) First Language English B
    (Edexcel) Physics B

Currently taking 3 IALs and 1 GCE
    Spoiler:
    Show

(Edexcel) Business Studies
    (Edexcel) Maths with Stats S1 and Core 12 C12
    (Edexcel) Biology
    (Edexcel) Design & Technology (Graphic Products) GCE

More about me
    Spoiler:
    Show

I look forward to furthering my studies down a Business Studies or Business Management path since I want to open my very own business.
    I'm Malaysian but I live in Qatar, a Middle Eastern country.
    Music gets me through everything. I listen to mostly R&B, hiphop, indie and jazz. My faves include Amy Winehouse, DEAN, DNCE and Arctic Monkeys.
    I run a blog for fun based on pictures that, when put collectively, match each other, which can be found here!
    I'm very interested in art, psychology, photography and journalism. At one point in my life, I've even planned on being an artist, a psychologist or a photojournalist.

Targets I want to achieve during GYG2017!
    Get AAAA for my AS Levels
    Secure a seat in a university Foundation Programme for academic year starting September 2017

Universities I've applied to
    University of Warwick - offer: 3Cs for AS Levels, including Maths
    University of Northampton - offer: unconditionally accepted once visa forms are submitted
    University of Central Lancashire - offer: unconditionally accepted once visa forms are submitted

That's it for now! I'll be replying to this thread with future updates every week or fortnight. Thanks for choosing to read my entry, here's hoping you have a great day ahead of ya

Pixels used in this thread are all from here
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Good luck !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nisha.sri)
    Good luck !!
    thanks ! the same goes to you

ReputationRep:
    I've never considered going for a Foundation Year entry!! University of Warwick is brill, I went to the open day last year for English and I loved the campus. Looking forward to more of your posts!x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovegoodjpg)
    I've never considered going for a Foundation Year entry!! University of Warwick is brill, I went to the open day last year for English and I loved the campus. Looking forward to more of your posts!x
    ah, that's too bad! i do agree less people know of the Foundation Year entry but it also comes down to each person's personal goals? i really didn't see the point of continuing with 4 subjects into A2 and wanted to narrow it down completely to only what i want to do, and if i take join Foundation Year of a certain bachelors' degree, i'd be able to do, technically, only the subject i prefer?

im seriously taking into account your comment about Warwick and it's become a stronger first choice for me ever since. you're someone who's into aesthetics and psych like i am, and i tend to consider similar people's opinions more haha. can't wait to see where your own thread goes from here on, as well x

ReputationRep:
    Official predicted grades sent off to the universities I've applied to
    Business Studies - A
    Maths - A
    Biology - A
    DT - B

Really wanted an A grade for DT, but my teacher says we're better off expecting a lower grade than what we're capable of. Makes sense, and I'm still grateful as she's acknowledged my potential.

My Statistics 1 exam is this Friday! Nerves are kicking in... Practice makes perfect, they say.. I'm happy with the amount of past papers I've done but one could never fully prepare for dodgy probability or normal distribution questions..

I'll be updating the thread of my main revision technique once I'm over and done with Stats. Til then!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aishatrbl)
    ah, that's too bad! i do agree less people know of the Foundation Year entry but it also comes down to each person's personal goals? i really didn't see the point of continuing with 4 subjects into A2 and wanted to narrow it down completely to only what i want to do, and if i take join Foundation Year of a certain bachelors' degree, i'd be able to do, technically, only the subject i prefer?

im seriously taking into account your comment about Warwick and it's become a stronger first choice for me ever since. you're someone who's into aesthetics and psych like i am, and i tend to consider similar people's opinions more haha. can't wait to see where your own thread goes from here on, as well x
    yeah i wishing I'd been told about foundation years!!! at my school they just talk about undergrads after two years and assume everyone is going to do that. and haha thank you!!!! yes it's all about that aesthetics. it's all so nice and modern there, i'm hoping to apply to do english w film studies next year! their film studies department is brill, it's what made me want to do film studies at uni bc i just decided to pop my head into the talk on the open day and i was blown away!x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovegoodjpg)
    yeah i wishing I'd been told about foundation years!!! at my school they just talk about undergrads after two years and assume everyone is going to do that. and haha thank you!!!! yes it's all about that aesthetics. it's all so nice and modern there, i'm hoping to apply to do english w film studies next year! their film studies department is brill, it's what made me want to do film studies at uni bc i just decided to pop my head into the talk on the open day and i was blown away!x
    thanks for the detailed info about Warwick, Jennie! just finalised my direct application into their Foundation Year, wishing you the best of luck for your ventures. hoping we get to meet in Warwick by next year? x

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the detailed info about Warwick, Jennie! just finalised my direct application into their Foundation Year, wishing you the best of luck for your ventures. hoping we get to meet in Warwick by next year? x
    yay!!! let me know how it goes! and yes, hopefully if i'm lucky enough, though it'll be 2018 entry for me x

ReputationRep:
    Business Studies - A
    Maths - A
    Biology - A
    DT - B

Really wanted an A grade for DT, but my teacher says we're better off expecting a lower grade than what we're capable of. Makes sense, and I'm still grateful as she's acknowledged my potential.

My Statistics 1 exam is this Friday! Nerves are kicking in... Practice makes perfect, they say.. I'm happy with the amount of past papers I've done but one could never fully prepare for dodgy probability or normal distribution questions..

I'll be updating the thread of my main revision technique once I'm over and done with Stats. Til then!
    Best of luck!x

ReputationRep:
    Business Studies - A
    Maths - A
    Biology - A
    DT - B

OMG! A user on TSR who does D.T! (Rare)

I hope you smash AS levels! Out of interest, May I know what Product you are improving for D.T (Or what you are doing)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunshine774)
    Best of luck!x
    thank you! right back at ya x

(Original post by Bulletzone)
    OMG! A user on TSR who does D.T! (Rare)

I hope you smash AS levels! Out of interest, May I know what Product you are improving for D.T (Or what you are doing)?
    thanks, i really appreciate it! currently i'm on the manufacture section of my coursework and my DT teach chose to do battery packaging? so all we're doing now is recreating it down to each mm in 2D Design and Photoshop, etc so the end product would look exactly the same with the original. we're going to have to create blister packagings, varnishing the card layer, and all once the design is perfect and at 99.99%. i take it you take DT too, yes? hbu, what are you up to in DT? i noticed there's so many different divisions to the subject, i'm on the Graphics GCE !

ReputationRep:
    This comes down to each individual, some may also advise against note-taking as a revision technique, but it works very well for me. I've started making notes with the mindset of wanting something to revise from that's actually nice to see. Hence, I decorate my notes with doodles, my favorite colors and my best handwriting.

Although I do admit it is time-consuming, the final product turns out to be very entertaining to read from so sometimes, I almost forget I'm studying! Note-taking would also have me read over the things I have to write down, therefore, the info gets in and you're even visibly writing it out. So, technically, you're going over the content 3 times if you make notes: once to know what to write, once to remember what to write and once as you actually write it down.

Some tips for effective note-taking
    Start as soon as you've gone over the lesson - don't make the mistake of having 50 chapters to note down 2 weeks before the exam!
    For those who've just started and have no idea where to begin, here's a 101
    If you're still stumped, (x) here (x) are 2 of my fave blogs that get me in the mood
    Surround yourself with things you enjoy and it'll come naturally!
    And lastly, don't feel upset if you don't think your notes are not as attractive as others. They're yours and yours only and you should be proud of it :yy:
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:

This comes down to each individual, some may also advise against note-taking as a revision technique, but it works very well for me. I've started making notes with the mindset of wanting something to revise from that's actually nice to see. Hence, I decorate my notes with doodles, my favorite colors and my best handwriting.

Although I do admit it is time-consuming, the final product turns out to be very entertaining to read from so sometimes, I almost forget I'm studying! Note-taking would also have me read over the things I have to write down, therefore, the info gets in and you're even visibly writing it out. So, technically, you're going over the content 3 times if you make notes: once to know what to write, once to remember what to write and once as you actually write it down.

Some tips for effective note-taking
    Start as soon as you've gone over the lesson - don't make the mistake of having 50 chapters to note down 2 weeks before the exam!
    For those who've just started and have no idea where to begin, here's a 101
    If you're still stumped, (x) here (x) are 2 of my fave blogs that get me in the mood
    Surround yourself with things you enjoy and it'll come naturally!
    And lastly, don't feel upset if you don't think your notes are not as attractive as others. They're yours and yours only and you should be proud of it :yy:
    Good advice! Especially about "starting as soon as possible"- I am guilty of leaving everything to the last minute!x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunshine774)
    I am guilty of leaving everything to the last minute!x
    same here! haha, i've learnt from my very own mistakes that i shouldn't be leaving it to the last minute. cheers to our studies x

ReputationRep:

In my opinion, being organised is almost as important as the act of studying itself. As a person, it'll help you stay focused and on your targets at all times, which will eventually also show in your studies. I was once a disorganised person, as well. However, I was given advice by my father that in order to lead, my team will not be organised if I, the leader herself, is not organised. This gave me the push to finally get myself together.

The (iOS) apps I currently use to stay organised are Wunderlist and Flat Tomato. Wunderlist is available on the Web and the Google Store for Android, but not Flat Tomato. A similar app for Android is called Forest, but I'm not entirely sure if it could record the name of the tasks you do.

Wunderlist, as could be deduced from its name, is a simple yet attractive to-do list app. I use it to list down everything: school assignments, groceries and even the movies I want to watch. I go to the app as soon as I have something to do, so I don't forget to list it down later or even forget to do it completely.

Flat Tomato, on the other hand, is an app that uses the Pomodoro technique. This technique has been working very well for me as it keeps me motivated to keep on going. It's comprised of a customisable timer that counts down 25 minutes of work and 5 minutes of break, and also has a store based on points obtained from the minutes you've put in to work, that sells more features to customise the app with. You could also record the tasks you do and get a spreadsheet of how much time you've put in for each task. I've chosen to label my tasks as "DT coursework" or "Business study time" and compare the amount of time I put in for the tasks to get an idea of how to further manage my time.

This goes without saying that staying organised is a very personal approach and is individually different. I use apps, but you may choose to note things down in a cute planner you recently splurged on. Despite this, I hope this post was still somewhat helpful to you. My next post may be on how I manage my time exactly, and what my days are divided into.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:

A typical weekday in my life goes like this:
    school - after school sessions - homework time - revising time - sleep.

It's boring, I agree, yet I could definitely say that my hard work shows up in my grades. On a bad weekday, I aim to do at least 2 hours of individual studying, which could include note-writing, doing past papers and further readings. I get Thursdays off, which is the last working day of the week where I currently live, where I forget everything and anything about studies and just have fun. Fun, in my definition, mind you, is sleeping in and binge watching movies. From Sunday to Wednesday, then, I need to push myself to do as much work as I can. The Thursday-being-a-reward incentive works well with me.

Weekends are called 'flexible days' to me, and not off days. Ideally, I'd like to laze around but I know I need to keep it productive. Cue reading and drawing, or any of my other hobbies I feel like doing. Truth be told, having to study is always pressing on the back of my mind. My perfectionism always insists on giving my all to certain responsibilities, like school. It gets tiring enough to handle that during weekdays, and so I think I could justify my slightly procrastinative in nature weekends, no?

That aside, my January exams results are coming out soon... In less than 4 days, to be exact. I'll be sure to update this thread of my achieved grades. Wish me luck!

ReputationRep:

I don't know where to start for this one, since it's such a large topic. I'll try to summarise what I have to say. At first, I applied to 3 universities using UCAS, which were Warwick, Northampton and UCLAN. Sadly, after weeks of waiting for a reply, I learnt that I applied to the wrong courses for all 3! I'm an international applicant, and did not qualify for the 'Home' Foundation Year courses, and should only apply for the International Foundation Pathways or Programmes. Luckily for me, international students are not expected to follow the January 15 deadline as on UCAS, and I even applied to Northampton as late as the 23rd of February this year.

Of course, I had to reapply directly to all of my 3 choices, and honestly? Why didn't I do that in the first place? Applying directly is so much easier, and all the universities replied within 3 days. If you're an international applicant, I say drop UCAS and just apply directly. Some universities do ask for an application fee, which could go up to £60-70, so bear that in mind while applying directly.

I've now received conditional offers from all 3 universities, but I've officially replied to, and accepted, Warwick over the other 2. I haven't declined the other 2 yet to serve as my insurance choices since Warwick's demanding 3Cs at AS Levels! I'm aiming for As this year, but we never know what might happen, and so I'm holding on to the other offers. I'm super excited since after accepting Warwick's offer, I feel like a true Warwick student. They've sent over emails and web links about enrolment, accommodation, etc etc. Hopefully I get into the university, but I could only know by August when my AS results come out

Some tips for direct application
    Expect a lot of email conversations and occasional phone calls
    Don't be shy to ask questions or to even initiate conversation with the admissions coordinator. I was really doubtful of it in the beginning as well, but I received a phone call and it let me know how the coordinator was like, in real life. They're really friendly and don't mind getting close to prospectus students.
    TAKE THAT CALL. I know it's pretty nervewrecking to tap on that green area on the screen, especially if you're anything like me who shrinks at any mention of social interaction. Don't think of it as a short interview, cause it's most likely not. The admissions officer might just want to see how you are, and whether you're a genuine student interested in their university. (Which I'm sure you all are!)
    A good relationship with the admissions officer goes a long way. I was even allowed to include my school's exam officer into an email thread to send over my high school transcripts directly, instead of having to upload it on the uni's website. Plus, they could be the first face you see when you get to the university, so show them you're interested, and not just another kid going to university cause it's what everyone else does.

If you've any questions regarding internationally applying to UK universities, I'll answer them to my best abilities, so feel free to ask anything!

ReputationRep:
    We were encouraged to sit the Unit 1 exams eventhough we've only started the course in September. This meant we had to rush, to an extent, to finish the syllabus for one entire unit and practice exam techniques and know everything like the back of our hands. I'm sure we weren't the only ones who's done so, but it was a challenge, to say the least. What the teachers said last year as I was sitting my IGs, "The jump from IGs to AS is big," turned out to be 100% true. To me, it felt like sitting the same content I did in 2 years, in 4 months.

So it should be quite obvious that I wasn't happy with my AS January results.
    Business Studies Unit 1 - A
    Statistics 1 - B
    Biology Unit 1 - C

I'm glad for my Business Studies grade, but it's funny how I worked more on Stats and Bio than Business yet I still got grades that didn't exactly mirror the effort I put in :/

I've chosen to resit Stats and Bio, since I really want As, and both my teachers also think I can achieve As. They encouraged me to resit the units, and so I signed up for resits in June. My exams officer was originally against it as she said the school expected to lessen our burden by doing the January exams, not to have us resit it in June and add to our workload. It makes sense, yet I'm really striving for As this year and I can't have low Unit 1 marks since my AS grades would be a collective of all the units in my subjects. What if I flunk Unit 2 or 3 later in June? I'd still have that A in Unit 1 to pick me up. Right?

Hopefully, I've chosen to insist to do the right thing, by resitting. Hopefully, I would be fine even with the fact that I have to also sit Unit 2 and 3 papers in June altogether with these Unit 1 resits.

To make things worse, my DT coursework deadline is coming up soon, and we've only just started the 'Design' section! It's crazy that we have to do this entire one-third of the coursework in 1 month?!! Not to mention having to study for the upcoming exams.. I think, sometimes in life, we just have to inhale some coffee and lose sleep.. Just the thought of me coming to an agreement with myself over this worries me?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.