Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I was unsure as to which category to put this thread in, so my closest bet was the 'uni courses' section.

Is it possible to still become a barrister with an Open University degree?

Because nowadays, training to become a barrister is more expensive than it has ever been because you'll be in more debt on your university degree (with tuition fees unfortunately now on the rise, thanks to inflation) and your bar professional training course, leaving a lot of financial insecurity. Therefore, I've considered embarking on a legal career as a legal executive/solicitor in the form of a degree apprenticeship for a while in order to get some legal experience in addition to financial stability before I apply to go to university as a mature student instead.

And considering that OU degrees are cheaper than your traditional degree (I know there are a lot more factors to take into consideration with this), perhaps it'd be a more financially secure and convenient route because I'll be in less debt.

Considering how picky and ruthless barristers' chambers are with regards to prospective barristers' universities (they prefer Russell Group graduates), do you reckon it's still possible to embark on an OU degree instead of going to a Russell Group university, provided that you graduate with a 1st, pull off a decent interview and have some mini-pupillages under your belt?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!
    FLM2318

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FLM2318)
    Possible but not particularly likely would be my guess. With a quick google search I've found one barrister with an OU degree, although it isn't totally clear whether she is still practising.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I was unsure as to which category to put this thread in, so my closest bet was the 'uni courses' section.

Because nowadays, training to become a barrister is more expensive than it has ever been because you'll be in more debt on your university degree (with tuition fees unfortunately now on the rise, thanks to inflation) and your bar professional training course, leaving a lot of financial insecurity. Therefore, I've considered embarking on a legal career as a legal executive/solicitor in the form of a degree apprenticeship for a while in order to get some legal experience in addition to financial stability before I apply to go to university as a mature student instead.

And considering that OU degrees are cheaper than your traditional degree (I know there are a lot more factors to take into consideration with this), perhaps it'd be a more financially secure and convenient route because I'll be in less debt.

Considering how picky and ruthless barristers' chambers are with regards to prospective barristers' universities (they prefer Russell Group graduates), do you reckon it's still possible to embark on an OU degree instead of going to a Russell Group university, provided that you graduate with a 1st, pull off a decent interview and have some mini-pupillages under your belt?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!
    FLM2318
    In short; yes.

Having an OU degree (with a good result) shows that you have self-discapline, research skills, and determination to succeed. Of course, there are some snobbish people still out there (unfortunately), but they're a shrinking minority. The OU isn't included in league tables, so it's not even able to compete with these people's silly mentalities.

Saying that, the law course at the OU has gone slightly downhill since they changed where they source their material. Other unis also offer distance learning at a reduced fee - you should probably look into these as well.

If you do go to the OU, though, you'll find a lot of support from the Inns of Court - particularly Inner Temple.

Good luck!
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Student loans are not normal debt. For one thing, you only start repaying them when you earn above a certain amount (currently £21k pa.), and secondly the loan doesn't affect your credit rating, and thirdly you will be entitled to a full tuition loan, plus a means-tested maintenance loan.

Factor in that you are currently doing GCSEs I really wouldn't worry about the "cost" of a degree - OU or "traditional - it's not really an issue.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.