Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The more weight I lose, the more flaws I seem to find and think I am really really fat. Looking in the mirror I can see I'm not and people tell me I'm in good shape, but when I'm out and about I just feel huge.

I am female, 5 ft 3 and have gone from weighing 10 stone 4 pounds to 9 stone 7 pounds and I'm a size 8-10 on top and a 12 in jeans. People tell me this weight suits me but I have become obsessed with the idea of losing weight and feel like I have such a long way to go.

When I was heavier I was a bit more confident with my weight, and I just feel myself becoming overly critical. I put on about 2-3 pounds over the Christmas holidays and beat myself up about it for ages, although I managed to quickly lose it. But I've developed a very unhealthy relationship with my weight and want this to stop.

Has anyone had any similar experiences? Any advice?

Thanks
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Your weight is perfectly normal and fine. Losing five kilograms will not make you underweight, but you are not fat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    The more weight I lose, the more flaws I seem to find and think I am really really fat. Looking in the mirror I can see I'm not and people tell me I'm in good shape, but when I'm out and about I just feel huge.

I am female, 5 ft 3 and have gone from weighing 10 stone 4 pounds to 9 stone 7 pounds and I'm a size 8-10 on top and a 12 in jeans. People tell me this weight suits me but I have become obsessed with the idea of losing weight and feel like I have such a long way to go.

When I was heavier I was a bit more confident with my weight, and I just feel myself becoming overly critical. I put on about 2-3 pounds over the Christmas holidays and beat myself up about it for ages, although I managed to quickly lose it. But I've developed a very unhealthy relationship with my weight and want this to stop.

Has anyone had any similar experiences? Any advice?

Thanks
    You've already touched upon it, but your obsession with your weight is unfounded.

Weight is no indicator of how fat, thin, fit or unfit you are.

This is mainly because muscle is denser than fat. You could be even heavier than you are now, but have less body fat, and more muscle, and be more lean and toned.

5 foot 3 with size 8-10 top and size 12 jeans sounds healthy and attractive.

Now, there are two things you can do about your obsession:

1) let it go - find inner peace and dedicate your time to something more productive, like charity work.

2) Find a goal - I'd recommend this. You've been losing weight with no image in mind. Post some body styles you want to be like - I (or someone else can advise you on what you need to do to acquire said body. Don't care about weight, since it's a useless indicator.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I could just do the usual and tell you to just forget it and love yourself, but I'm not gonna bcs I completely understand that it simply doesn't work like that. I really struggled with a weight complex for a good few years and I know how crappy and alone you can feel, so seriously feel free to pm me about anything.

But yeah basically there's no easy answer, I'm not even really sure how i came to accept myself which i guess isn't very helpful, but i'm always here for advice if you need it!

Good luck, and try to love yourself! <3 :-)

ReputationRep:
    Why's everyone obsessed with how much they weigh? I never weigh myself. I just look in the mirror and check how much progress I make on exercises. Much healthier.

ReputationRep:
    If you feel like you'd be happier if you lost some weight, then go and lose some weight.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Realistically OP doesn't have much muscle mass so actually weight is pretty relevant for her.

As others have said, either embrace or strive for change through weight training and have a goals that you're aiming for.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.