Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Regretting career/degree choice - not sure what to do Watch

ReputationRep:
    --
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    You could indeed take a gap year and reapply next year. Better than waste 3 years and 27000 pounds on a degree you do not want to study anymore.

Wait until the last day when you can respond to your offers to reject or accept your offers in case you change your mind.

If you like maths, you may find a degree in maths, computer science or accounting interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tajtsracc)
    Alright, so I applied to study mechanical engineering at a few unis, however as months go by I regret this decision more and more. It's becoming more apparent to me that it isn't something I want to spend the next 3/4 years studying nor pay £27k for.

At this point I'm not quite sure what to do. Should I consider rejected all uni offers and instead take a gap year and reapply to study something else? If so, what careers should I consider looking into? I do maths, physics and chemistry and am predicted AAA. I love maths but have next to zero passion for physics (which sort of happened out of no where).
    Is another sort of engineering an option? There is automotive, chemical, or motorsport ... [I left out electrical/electronic if you have gone off Pnysics]

Some engineering degrees are more hands-on than others and some people find that more engaging.

You could do a chemistry degree or even maths [the lack of Further Maths would cut down the choice of unis].

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, not really. I intend to move away from engineering if I consider taking a gap year. Too much to do but not a whole lot to gain.

The lack of further maths A-level would make it pretty difficult to do a maths degree at most unis, sadly
    I'm in sort of a similar situation to you where I've applied for Physics and Maths/Phys degrees with just Maths, Phys and Computing A levels. I'm slowly losing motivation and interest for Physics while I keep loving maths more and more every lesson, its really strange.

I'm kind of considering taking a gap year but instead of like travelling and stuff I'm trying to see if I could possibly do a Further Maths A level (or maybe AS if I really don't wanna do the applied modules) alongside a STEP paper, probably STEP 1. Maybe you could try asking around seeing if you could possibly do this or something similar, seems something worthwhile to do for a year if you really love maths?

ReputationRep:
    Gosh the bold line just screams me right now, haha. I just can't see myself continuing with physics beyond A-levels.

I'll try and see what I can do. Man I really regret not picking further maths from the beginning.
    This is literally me right now, Computing is absolute trash, its so bloody crap omfg, doing a massive task right now while I could have been trying to understand some Physics.

Like if I did Maths, FMaths and Phys I could actually see myself having more motivation for Phys bc I would probably be spending more chunks of time on understanding some of the stuff in more depth since my Maths teacher is amazing and literally won't let me go unless she's sure I've understood everything from a lesson (just only me and my best friend in the class lol and he also regrets not taking FMaths)

I barely have to revise for maths except for that occasional past paper every other week maybe and I still get 70s on those without any revision for a while. If I knew maths would have been this fun to do at the start of AS I would have picked FMaths immediately, probably wouldn't be struggling so much with physics either tbh. Only offer I've got atm is an A*A*A offer from Warwick, no god damn way am I (Or anyone else in my phys class) gonna get an A* in Physics #fluxmylife
    • Very Important Poster

Find a career and degree you wish to do. Use Extra or clearing to see if you cnat match up otherwise take a gap, earn money and reapply.
    See what you lack of further maths prevents you from doing and look to take it in the gap or on a foundation year.

ReputationRep:
    Are you really, really sure you don't enjoy Physics? Could this just be 'Grass is always greener' syndrome?

ReputationRep:
    You could try and see if you can get a place through clearing or adjustment if you're grades are better than your offers. I went through adjustment and went from IT to Linguistics at Leeds.

If you can't, I'd go for the gap year option.

ReputationRep:
    In my case at least, it's not that I don't enjoy physics, I love many topics in physics which I'd totally love to do at uni like Particle stuff but topics like Electricity and Electromagnetism just utterly boggle my mind and I just can't get my head around them which just keeps demotivating me a lot.

I don't know why but if something boggles my mind in Maths, I get more motivated to want to try figuring it out instead through questions and stuff but like there are tons and tons of maths questions that I could do and I really don't want to attempt physics questions and past papers without fully knowing the content itself, feels like I'm wasting questions I could do later once I've understood the content properly, which I can't seem to be able do either :/
    • Very Important Poster

Not really sure what I want to do, haha. All I know is that maths ✓ and physics ✘
    Hmm, I didn't consider clearing. I'll definitely keep that in mind.
    Then maybe do some research at careers and how limiting not having further math might be.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.