Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody done this prelim?
    We're doing it on the 25th of January
    Any hints would be much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Anybody?

ReputationRep:
    We are doing our maths prelim on Tuesday so I will see if it's this one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yandex)
    We are doing our maths prelim on Tuesday so I will see if it's this one.
    Ok cheers!!
    If it is a Pegasys paper then it should look like this with Pegasys written in the bottom left corner :
    Name:  20170115_174549.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  515.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    I done my maths prelim. The paper had a cover similar to that but I don't think it said Pegasys anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    Higher maths... Thankfully I don't have to put myself through that bs ever again, basically you are screwed because they always make it 2x harder than the final exam paper.

I sat the 2014 old Higher paper. It was horrible.

I have never used any principles of Higher maths for my degree.

Take home message - if you f-up, it's not the end of the world...(unless you are doing medicine or applying to a snobby uni)

Or applying to study maths of course... If so you have problems

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A+Hunter)
    I done my maths prelim. The paper had a cover similar to that but I don't think it said Pegasys anywhere.
    Hmm says it in the bottom corner in tiny writing so not very noticeable
    Were there any particularly nasty questions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .A_C.)
    Higher maths... Thankfully I don't have to put myself through that bs ever again, basically you are screwed because they always make it 2x harder than the final exam paper.

I sat the 2014 old Higher paper. It was horrible.

I have never used any principles of Higher maths for my degree.

Take home message - if you f-up, it's not the end of the world...(unless you are doing medicine or applying to a snobby uni)

Or applying to study maths of course... If so you have problems
    Yeah it really is such a useless subject!! I'd hope to get an A by the may exam but at the moment I'm working at a B grade standard but I'm working hard at it. However I need straight A's this year because I'm applying to Cambridge to study languages and even though maths isn't at all related, I still need an A :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ___Sophie___)
    Yeah it really is such a useless subject!! I'd hope to get an A by the may exam but at the moment I'm working at a B grade standard but I'm working hard at it. However I need straight A's this year because I'm applying to Cambridge to study languages and even though maths isn't at all related, I still need an A :/
    Oh that is a shame - unfortunately the people who make the Higher maths paper these days have got rid of the multiple choice in the first section! (but that can be a good and bad thing...). There never used to be much controversy years ago when they made the papers, but because the SQA are a terrible, disgusting organisation the recent papers have been drowned in criticism. And rightly so.

I find it quite remarkable that the Elite universities such as Cambridge require you to have an A at mathematics to do something which is a polar opposite to what you are doing.

I study Bioscience in Aberdeen and I need to use a few chemistry equations and statistics now and then, but nothing from Higher maths.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm says it in the bottom corner in tiny writing so not very noticeable
    Were there any particularly nasty questions?
    Paper 1 was really easy imo.

Paper 2 was definitely more challenging with some easy questions and also some harder questions. The hardest question that I came across was something to do with a circle and you had to work out the perpendicular bisector, but it was awkward cause they never gave you the two points other than the x coord for one of them. I didn't really read the question carefully anyway and gave up so just moved on.

ReputationRep:
    Paper 1 was really easy imo.

Paper 2 was definitely more challenging with some easy questions and also some harder questions. The hardest question that I came across was something to do with a circle and you had to work out the perpendicular bisector, but it was awkward cause they never gave you the two points other than the x coord for one of them. I didn't really read the question carefully anyway and gave up so just moved on.
    Oh no those circle questions are my least favourite how many marks was that for? Know you aren't sure if you did the Pegasys paper but anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .A_C.)
    Oh that is a shame - unfortunately the people who make the Higher maths paper these days have got rid of the multiple choice in the first section! (but that can be a good and bad thing...). There never used to be much controversy years ago when they made the papers, but because the SQA are a terrible, disgusting organisation the recent papers have been drowned in criticism. And rightly so.

I find it quite remarkable that the Elite universities such as Cambridge require you to have an A at mathematics to do something which is a polar opposite to what you are doing.

I study Bioscience in Aberdeen and I need to use a few chemistry equations and statistics now and then, but nothing from Higher maths.
    Completely agree!

ReputationRep:
    Oh no those circle questions are my least favourite how many marks was that for? Know you aren't sure if you did the Pegasys paper but anyway
    6 marks I hadn't seen it before in any of the past papers and I had done past papers as far back as 2000. Was very weird.

The area under the curve questions were alright. There was a trig identity question which I never bothered doing cause they're solid.

ReputationRep:
    6 marks I hadn't seen it before in any of the past papers and I had done past papers as far back as 2000. Was very weird.

The area under the curve questions were alright. There was a trig identity question which I never bothered doing cause they're solid.
    Area of a curve can't come up in ours as none of the maths classes have done it...
    Hmm might not get your paper then idk...

ReputationRep:
    Area of a curve can't come up in ours as none of the maths classes have done it...
    Hmm might not get your paper then idk...
    Yeah you prob won't then. Don't think you've done those units yet

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.