Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

about one and a half years ago I got my As level results, and I "achieved": Physics: U , Maths: U, Computing: U. Like most of my friends at the time I was wracked with guilt and decided to just drop college and go off to do a web development apprenticeship. I quickly discovered that I hated it but I didn't want to drop it and do nothing until I could go back to college ( probably with diminishing motivation ). So I stuck it out and started looking into game development which had a much heavier reliance on knowledge of subjects I was interested in as well a reliance on problem solving rather than the dry rehashes of boilerplate code I was writing everyday for my apprenticeship. Somehow I managed to make my way into a small game dev startup as a junior programmer and I now have about 6 months experience. I'm now more excited than I ever was at college or school or on my apprenticeship about maths, physics and computer science and I feel I really want to take up a physics degree. Unfortunately my apprenticeship despite straight distinctions is only worth about 50Ucas points and is fairly irrelevant to a physics course. I guess my question is: what will I have to do in order to win a place on a foundation year course, is it going to be necessary to take up distance learning and resit my As levels, or is there another way? Thanks for your time

ReputationRep:
    Given your age (I'm assuming you were the usual age when you took your AS levels) the most obvious route is to redo A levels. Most foundation courses won't consider you without a full level 3 qualification.

An alternative would be to do an Access to H.E. course (Engineering or Science pathway) which you may have to follow up with a foundation year. I got into university following an Access course, but it limits your options, as not all universities will accept it for a physics degree.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 18, 2017

University open days

• University of Chichester
    Multiple Departments Undergraduate
    Thu, 25 Oct '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 26 Oct '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.