Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    a riddle on that that other thread had me thinking - could a doctor operate on his son legally? im not well up wiv medical stuff lol just wondered

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by horrorboy)
    a riddle on that that other thread had me thinking - could a doctor operate on his son legally? im not well up wiv medical stuff lol just wondered
    hmm ...i dnt think u can...cos of ethics and stuff. And the fathers personal feelings may interfere with what he's doin or sumthin. ..not sure!

ReputationRep:
    I guess... why wouldn't he be allowed to? I guess he could ask not to do it in case it goes wrong he'll have loads of guilt. But I can't see why he wouldn't be allowed if he wanted to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    I guess... why wouldn't he be allowed to? I guess he could ask not to do it in case it goes wrong he'll have loads of guilt. But I can't see why he wouldn't be allowed if he wanted to.
    it could be a bit embarrasing though expecially if the operations in a certain place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    I think thats actualy why they wouldn't let him/her - if the surgeon decided to let another surgeon operate and the son died he would blame himself for not doing it himself - its to prevent these difficult choises.

i think ethically it is wrong and not allowed because they would be reluctant to give up on the operation if it went wrong and would become too emotionally involved

ReputationRep:
    im not well up wiv medical stuff lol just wondered
    Neither am I, and I do not have a clue of what the answer to your question may be!

ReputationRep:
    It's not illegal, however, it is not professional and does not (should not) happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joyabbott)
    It's not illegal, however, it is not professional and does not (should not) happen.
    I'd assume it was something like standard precedure for another surgeon to operate unless there are no other surgeons (well obviously :rolleyes: ).

ReputationRep:
    Yep...

and lets face it, the families of doctors/surgeons don't generally have difficulty accessing treatment when it's required.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I would want a surgeon who might get emotionally involved.

ReputationRep:
    ive just found out, yes it is legal :rolleyes:
    guess this is the end of my thread

ReputationRep:
    ive just found out, yes it is legal :rolleyes:
    guess this is the end of my thread
    but if the surgeon was at the top of his profession only carrying out the most riskiest/complex of operations, he may be one of very few able to carry out this procedure.. so it cant be illegal.. but off course if the procedure was just routine.. then another surgeon would have to take charge.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 7, 2004
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.