Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!
    I just created this account to post this so I have no idea if I'm doing this right or not. I don't even know if this is the correct thread.

I'll just start right away:
    I'm currently still in school about to finish in one year and I'm planning to start studying the year after that. For a long time I was fascinated by writing code and creating websites, that's the reason why I decided to go to a school that does higher technical education with a focus on creating websites, databases and working with Photoshop, Premiere Pro, After Effects.

In the third year when we started working with Premiere Pro and After Effects I realized that I really liked editing videos and animating bits and pieces in videos. I started watching tutorials for a video project and I got really into watching them especially the ones with complex transitions or animations. I really like motion design too.

Up until a few months ago I thought I was gonna study Digital Media at the Uni of Portsmouth, I went to their open day last year and they talked about introducing a new course called Creative Digital Media and I actually preferred that one over Digital Media, but I haven't seen anything about that course on their website so far.

Now I'm not quite sure what I should study in 2 years. I still like webdesign and databases are somewhat interesting, but I feel like editing videos, animating, designing or something in that area would suit me better. I want to have good job opportunities with good pay after studying though, so nothing like freelancing.

I don't currently live in the UK so I don't have the opportunity to visit unis anytime soon.

Thanks in advance!

P.S.: I should mention that I'm not a good drawer or sketcher so I don't think I'm cutout for graphic design. But hey, if you can convince me otherwise please do.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theereader)
    Hello everyone!
    I just created this account to post this so I have no idea if I'm doing this right or not. I don't even know if this is the correct thread.

I'm currently still in school about to finish in one year and I'm planning to start studying the year after that. For a long time I was fascinated by writing code and creating websites, that's the reason why I decided to go to a school that does higher technical education with a focus on creating websites, databases and working with Photoshop, Premiere Pro, After Effects.

In the third year when we started working with Premiere Pro and After Effects I realized that I really liked editing videos and animating bits and pieces in videos. I started watching tutorials for a video project and I got really into watching them especially the ones with complex transitions or animations. I really like motion design too.

Up until a few months ago I thought I was gonna study Digital Media at the Uni of Portsmouth, I went to their open day last year and they talked about introducing a new course called Creative Digital Media and I actually preferred that one over Digital Media, but I haven't seen anything about that course on their website so far.

Now I'm not quite sure what I should study in 2 years. I still like webdesign and databases are somewhat interesting, but I feel like editing videos, animating, designing or something in that area would suit me better. I want to have good job opportunities with good pay after studying though, so nothing like freelancing.

I don't currently live in the UK so I don't have the opportunity to visit unis anytime soon.

Thanks in advance!

P.S.: I should mention that I'm not a good drawer or sketcher so I don't think I'm cutout for graphic design. But hey, if you can convince me otherwise please do.
    I'd suggest looking into degrees in computer aided/3d animation (herts and bournemouth university), visual effects and digital design (like http://www.brunel.ac.uk/study/underg...al-design-bsc# ) along with graphic design/visual communication degrees (these will include differing levels of interactive/animation content and so some may well suit your interests).

You've got plenty of time to browse through university websites to come up with a shortlist (or even a very long list) to look into in more detail.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theereader)
    Hello everyone!

Thanks in advance!

Hey there!

You sounds like our kind of student! Well you have many choices here since you have different types or passion and skills!

If you check our Departments there's something definitely for you!
    Department of Design Practice: Design and coding/Design products/Digital advertising/ Graphic design/ Motion graphics
    Department of content: Animation/Web media/Music for media/Sound design/ Digital photography
    Department of production: Digital Film production/ Digital TV production/ Broadcasting Audio Tech/ Broadcasting System Tech/ Broadcasting Computing/ Outside Broadcasting tech

And since you can't visit us, why don't you Contact us if you have any other questions! [email protected]

Good luck!
    Ahlia

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.