The Student Room Group

Worried about not making friends at uni?

I've applied for starting university at the end of this year and one of my main anxieties about moving is not making any close friends

I'm at college right now and have about three friends who I don't really see outside of lesson time. I feel like most people I meet end up being acquaintances and I'm worried that the same thing will happen at university, and I might end up being really lonely. I do have a boyfriend who may or may not be moving with me when I move (he's in third year at uni and doesn't know what he's doing afterwards), so another worry is not meeting people because I wouldn't be living in halls in that case.

I'm worried mostly because I don't enjoy drinking or going out clubbing, and I feel like that's how most people meet at the start of university. If I miss this, I feel like everyone will have already made friends and I'll struggle more
Don't get too worried about this, when it comes to uni, make the most out of freshers day, join clubs, societies, introduce yourself to people and be interested in them. Join the volunteer activities at your university.

If you ever have the chance to go out with them, go out with them.

To help you in general with meeting people:

1) Relax, imagine you're just observing or there as a traveller lol.

2) Smile, smiling in contagious.

3) Be confident, respect yourself, work out, wear good clothes, feel good, focus on your passions, know you are a good person who treats people well, think positively, be proud of yourself, do things that make you happy, remember your happy times, what makes you, you?

4) Dress well, have good grooming, hairstyle, have good posture.

5) Just say hi or hey to people in your vicinity, who cares if they don't say anything back?

6) Ask how they are, how's everything, what made them choose this course, their plans for the future, their plans for the rest of the day, weekend, how was their weekend, what they will get up to, ask them about their hobbies, talk about the weather etc.

7) Be passionate about life.

8) Lighten up, have a laugh, laugh easily, be friendly, interested, relaxed, open to people.

I'll be your friend :smile:.
Reply 2
Original post by Analyst89
Don't get too worried about this, when it comes to uni, make the most out of freshers day, join clubs, societies, introduce yourself to people and be interested in them. Join the volunteer activities at your university.

If you ever have the chance to go out with them, go out with them.

To help you in general with meeting people:

1) Relax, imagine you're just observing or there as a traveller lol.

2) Smile, smiling in contagious.

3) Be confident, respect yourself, work out, wear good clothes, feel good, focus on your passions, know you are a good person who treats people well, think positively, be proud of yourself, do things that make you happy, remember your happy times, what makes you, you?

4) Dress well, have good grooming, hairstyle, have good posture.

5) Just say hi or hey to people in your vicinity, who cares if they don't say anything back?

6) Ask how they are, how's everything, what made them choose this course, their plans for the future, their plans for the rest of the day, weekend, how was their weekend, what they will get up to, ask them about their hobbies, talk about the weather etc.

7) Be passionate about life.

8) Lighten up, have a laugh, laugh easily, be friendly, interested, relaxed, open to people.

I'll be your friend :smile:.

Thank you for your advice. I'm worried because I'm not really a club or society type of person, and I don't want to make friends with people just so I have some friends. I think it's stressing me out so much because I have an opportunity to make lifelong friends and I don't want to end up with people that I don't feel close to or don't have anything in common with

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending