Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm going to be taking physics next year for a level and i just wanted to hear from people who do it on what it's like?

How interesting is it?
    What's the work load like?
    How difficult is it?
    How much maths is involved?
    How does it compare to gcse?

My school is doing OCR B

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not many of us do OCR B on here, it's kind of the "irrelevant board".

I guess it's fairly interesting - Some topics are quite dull, but others are a lot better such as material science - and I know there are topics about Quantum behaviour and space time and motion (which is very similar to the M1 Maths module) which are going to be really good!
    The work load depends on school to school - but there are these "things" which are basically controlled assessments called PAGs which you have to do and the write ups and preparation take up a lot of time.

I guess a lot of Maths is involved (Physics in general is basically just Maths) - At AS, a lot of the Maths is GCSE style Physics-Maths, but the questions are more complex and everything has to be to 2 sig fig and so it's quite easy to lose marks that way. I'm not sure how difficult the Maths is at A2.
    It's definitely harder than GCSE Physics, but I don't know how much because I guess it depends from person to person.

If you're doing Computer Science A Level, that's a bit of a help because the syllabuses (I have no idea what the plural of syllabus is) overlap a bit during the first module.

I guess this wasn't really all that helpful.... so sorry..

But Physics is fun! Even if it's a bit confusing from time to time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwishicouldfly14)
    Not many of us do OCR B on here, it's kind of the "irrelevant board".

I guess it's fairly interesting - Some topics are quite dull, but others are a lot better such as material science - and I know there are topics about Quantum behaviour and space time and motion (which is very similar to the M1 Maths module) which are going to be really good!
    The work load depends on school to school - but there are these "things" which are basically controlled assessments called PAGs which you have to do and the write ups and preparation take up a lot of time.

I guess a lot of Maths is involved (Physics in general is basically just Maths) - At AS, a lot of the Maths is GCSE style Physics-Maths, but the questions are more complex and everything has to be to 2 sig fig and so it's quite easy to lose marks that way. I'm not sure how difficult the Maths is at A2.
    It's definitely harder than GCSE Physics, but I don't know how much because I guess it depends from person to person.

If you're doing Computer Science A Level, that's a bit of a help because the syllabuses (I have no idea what the plural of syllabus is) overlap a bit during the first module.

I guess this wasn't really all that helpful.... so sorry..

But Physics is fun! Even if it's a bit confusing from time to time!
    How come it's the 'irrelevant board'?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awkwrdbby)
    How come it's the 'irrelevant board'?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Everyone seems to always do OCR A or AQA or Edexcel...
    It's recommended by the Institute of something (I don't remember which one...), I think - which probably means it's more "challenging" then other boards?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awkwrdbby)
    So I'm going to be taking physics next year for a level and i just wanted to hear from people who do it on what it's like?

How interesting is it?
    What's the work load like?
    How difficult is it?
    How much maths is involved?
    How does it compare to gcse?
    unfortunately i do ocr b but at least i can tell you about it

i'm beginning to enjoy physics a lot more compared to the start of the year when i was considering dropping it. we started off with sensing (electricity basically) and space time and motion (mechanics, the more mathsy stuff i guess). a lot of it follows on from gcse and it helps a lot if you've done triple, most of the stuff in sensing is just P6 from ocr gateway gcse. in saying that i find it more interesting even though i (and around half my class) only chose it because it goes with my other subjects lol.

workload is nonexistent, if you understand it you don't need to do much revision and i don't even have proper notes (which i don't suggest doing, i will rectify this in time). We don't get much hw and any we do get are just practice questions.

i am finding it quite difficult conceptually. this may be because i take a while to get things but if you have a good teacher and take time to go through things after class you'll be fine. there's quite a lot of maths but it doesn't get a lot harder than substituting values into equations and using the correct number of significant figures (). if you're doing fm, and do a couple of mechanics modules, that's much harder than a level will get so it's like two for the price of one.

also warning about practicals. you'll end up hating them with a passion, in physics they never work and the writeup is so boring ugh (i think we also need to study them for the exam but im not even thinking about that yet)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.