Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm 18 years old and have already missed one year of education due to personal issues at 16 that really screwed me over. When I began to do my AS, I chose to do Business, Media and English Language thinking I'd become a script writer, which was my aim. I then dropped Business for English Literature as it suited my aspirations. However in October 2015 I began to have doubts and my mother reminded me of my aspiration of entering the medical field. I thought, "That's in the past, I'm wanting to do an English degree now," and I forgot about it. Then two months later I began to look at Biomedical Sciences degrees, and it hit me how much I wanted to do them. Originally I decided on doing an English degree then Graduate Entry Medicine but I couldn't even put myself through doing English due to having a really terrible teacher in AS.

I began fluctuating with the idea of either a biomed degree or an English degree and decided an Access course or taking on Biology and Chemistry A Levels may be beneficial. But then I couldn't tell my school about my plans so I started my UCAS application then in October last year telling them my plans for a gap year. At first I was going to apply to do English Language as a degree then cancel my application on results day as I was a wuss to tell them my plans. My family encouraged me, although I have family problems and really want to move out. I did end up telling my school and several people told me that I was always so eager to go to university this year, what changed? I changed and realised how much I was going to put myself through just for nothing. So this year I've applied for voluntary work at a hospital and got a placement in the summer. But I'll be 20 when I go to university and it's over a year away, how can I push these feelings away of thinking I could have had independence this year and make it? In some ways I blame myself for being indecisive for changing my options but now I'm fully committed, but I feel like I'm missing out and I blame myself for choosing the wrong A Levels instead of going for ones my teachers picked for me.

Plus my mum and sister gang up on me and tell me to go to a local university when my plan is to move out and it really annoys me and I have no motivation to live at times.

ReputationRep:
    Psh age does not matter at all , I wouldn't worry about it at all . Some of us take longer to decide what to do, it took me three years to decide on my masters and I went to uni a year later because of my own personal reasons.

But I would rather be 26 doing a masters I really wanna do (which it will be my age when I start) than 21 doing some random **** I didn't really wanna do !!!

Just gotta do what's best for you , so
    Good luck with it all xoxox

ReputationRep:
    Nobody wants to feel left behind, but going at 20 and doing what you really want to be doing is the only option. It's madness not to do what you love.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l'etranger)
    Nobody wants to feel left behind, but going at 20 and doing what you really want to be doing is the only option. It's madness not to do what you love.
    I guess, the only option was to fake it till I could and do a second degree but then jealously strikes at everyone going this year. It's a vicious circle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhythmical)
    I guess, the only option was to fake it till I could and do a second degree but then jealously strikes at everyone going this year. It's a vicious circle.
    This is the actual insane option. You would take on a tonne of debt to spend 3 years doing something you don't want to do only to be where you are now, at age 22. Sometimes you have to be strong and rock the boat.

ReputationRep:
    Just take things as your own pace, do what you feel is right for YOU. So what if other people are in different positions in life etc.? Everyone is on their own personal journey, some of us take longer than others and that's okay I fully understand that it's easy for me to say this as I'm not in your position and it's easier said than done to not feel like you're 'behind' in life or lacking in some way, but just try to take things at your own pace
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    This is the actual insane option. You would take on a tonne of debt to spend 3 years doing something you don't want to do only to be where you are now, at age 22. Sometimes you have to be strong and rock the boat.
    I was going to do it, as explained in my OP, then I realised three years is a waste of money, time and one year doesn't compare. One year I remind myself, to escape and find peace. One year will go by quick, it's already nearly the end of my A Levels.

ReputationRep:
    I was going to do it, as explained in my OP, then I realised three years is a waste of money, time and one year doesn't compare. One year I remind myself, to escape and find peace. One year will go by quick, it's already nearly the end of my A Levels.
    Deep down you already know what is best. It's just tough because of the issues at home so I do understand why you'd want to be able to leave as soon as you can.

ReputationRep:
    I understand lol, I am turning 21 in a month and that's the age at which I will start university. I naturally have regret about the fact that if I'd done things correctly the first time, I would be finishing uni soon. And my family were never impressed with how I handled it all as well (and still aren't happy about the fact I quit work to go back to education).

But at the end of the day it's my life and I'm in the right position, so as long as you're doing what you want to do that's all that's important.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Deep down you already know what is best. It's just tough because of the issues at home so I do understand why you'd want to be able to leave as soon as you can.
    This has helped me put my mind at rest, gives me validation and reassurance that I'm not alone, but also how people do this a lot more these days. But yes thank you. It's just sad how I've been reading people's threads where they regret their course and I think, that could have been me easily.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    I understand lol, I am turning 21 in a month and that's the age at which I will start university. I naturally have regret about the fact that if I'd done things correctly the first time, I would be finishing uni soon. And my family were never impressed with how I handled it all as well (and still aren't happy about the fact I quit work to go back to education).

But at the end of the day it's my life and I'm in the right position, so as long as you're doing what you want to do that's all that's important.
    That's true, I'm sure I'll meet loads of people with the same sort of situation at university and 20 isn't old, but it's these feelings at the back of my head since I was so eager to go to university this year. Do you get the same feelings of regret?

ReputationRep:
    my parents think there aint any point of going to uni if u can't go to Oxbridge 😐😐😐
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolmathametics)
    my parents think there aint any point of going to uni if u can't go to Oxbridge 😐😐😐
    Wow that's harsh, my parents are in favour of me going to a local university that is very far down on rankings and is a terrible university altogether lol

ReputationRep:
    Wow that's harsh, my parents are in favour of me going to a local university that is very far down on rankings and is a terrible university altogether lol
    tell dem local unis r bs lol 😂

ReputationRep:
    That's true, I'm sure I'll meet loads of people with the same sort of situation at university and 20 isn't old, but it's these feelings at the back of my head since I was so eager to go to university this year. Do you get the same feelings of regret?
    Sometimes but if I had been doing things based on my first year of college, I would have been doing law at uni which is not what I want to do now... and my second year (when I changed all my courses) it would have been something to do with biology which is not what I want to do now either.

So I am glad I finally got there, it would have been better if I got there earlier but I'm happy about going to uni at a maturer age

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.