Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Soz the title is vague but it would have been huge otherwise.

(this is 'art' in general, not the subject)

I mean how do you like continue doing it even if you're bad at it? How do you not let the fact that you don't think your work is good completely destroy your desire to continue?

In the past I tried to get into pixel art and I did draw quite a few things, but I always got so demotivated because everything l drew always didn't look right or how I wanted it to. (if you really want, intersocial.deviantart has some pixel stuff tho I don't like how most of it looks because it was designed based on a certain art style which i feel a bit meh about)

And now I want to try out any kind of art again really but just the constant feeling of 'euguhghhgh its awful' is ?? how do you even deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    “Not what we have But what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance.”

Epicurus

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, if you're no good at it, why do you want to continue so badly?
    We can't all be great at everything. If artistic skill is something that you need for your job or something, then fair enough. But if it's just a hobby, there's nothing wrong with moving on to something that satisfies you better.
    It might just be that you're too perfectionistic about your work. It could also be that perhaps some other activity would give you the results you want to see with less frustration. But that's up to you to decide. It's down to how much the goal matters to you, and how much hard work and practice is worth it for the outcome.
    I think people on the Internet, and in society generally, think that it's always their job to say 'omg you're amazing' every time you do anything creative. That's very nice of them, but it's not always helpful. I'm sure that if you put enough hours in, eventually you will get where you want to go. But what is not clear is exactly how hard you will have to work to get there

I have similar decisions to make. I am good at traditional art, and I have been trying to learn digital illustration. It's a real adjustment, and I don't know if I'll ever be any good at it. But I am trying, and I'm also ok to let it go if it doesn't work out further down the road.

Btw there is a designated forum for art here. Chat is not a good place to post.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, it can feel like absolute **** sometimes when you think your art is rubbish or not good enough.

But I continue with it because you cannot improve if you give up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Honestly, it can feel like absolute **** sometimes when you think your art is rubbish or not good enough.

But I continue with it because you cannot improve if you give up.
    what if you just have the wrong genes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    what if you just have the wrong genes?
    I do think there is legitimate grounds for some people being just naturally talented in things like art (like a child prodigy). And I do think some people learn easier than others. But I don't think there are very many people out there who are genuinely just incapable of improving if they try.

ReputationRep:
    I do think there is legitimate grounds for some people being just naturally talented in things like art (like a child prodigy). And I do think some people learn easier than others. But I don't think there are very many people out there who are genuinely just incapable of improving if they try.
    I've been reading about programming and who can and can not do it and a load of studies around it it appears to suggest there are people who just can not ever be any good at at it no matter how much they try. I am coming to the conclusion I am one fo those people -_____-

ReputationRep:
    I've been reading about programming and who can and can not do it and a load of studies around it it appears to suggest there are people who just can not ever be any good at at it no matter how much they try. I am coming to the conclusion I am one fo those people -_____-
    I thought we were just talking about art, like drawing and painting

ReputationRep:
    I thought we were just talking about art, like drawing and painting
    Some people are just **** at drawing.

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    Some people are just **** at drawing.

Spoiler:
    Show

I think a lot of people who are "**** at drawing" just stopped trying when they weren't immediately good.

And I am definitely one of them. I get very frustrated at not being good at drawing. I think if I put effort in though I could definitely improve.

I switched to painting instead though because it's easier to cover up **** ups and start again. Just slap more paint on it. lol.

ReputationRep:
    I think a lot of people who are "**** at drawing" just stopped trying when they weren't immediately good.
    What if you have dyspraxia?

Spoiler:
    Show

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    i paint sceneries notably during long half terms and summer holidays. i get praises from my relatives but when i look back at it, i know they're lies, even i thought it was absolute garbage. i overdo some stuff and end up blurring out the details making it look like a blob.

but 4 paintings after i still get the urge to paint, it's just something i find rewarding and fun. even if the ending is crap, somewhere in the process it's quite good and that makes me feel good. i guess i dont do it mainly for people's acknowledgement, i somewhat enjoy it when i'm extremely bored. i think if you learn to do it for yourself then you'll have a different mindset.

ReputationRep:
    What if you have dyspraxia?

Spoiler:
    Show

I'm not sure, I don't know enough about the condition.

But I also think the question of what is art and what is good or bad art also needs to be asked?

Say for example someone has been trying to do lifelike self portraits but struggles with it or sees their work as crap, they could actually be brilliant at another form of art? Such as surrealism. But they may never know it if they don't try.

Art is very subjective. There are many mediums and many styles.

ReputationRep:
    Takes 10 thousand hours to master a skill.

I'm too lazy to do art. I should have picked something else lmao.

Btw the fastest way to get better I've found is to do a lot studies. Draw one thing and compare it to what you're drawing when you're done. Then repeat until they look identical (or good enough if you're not trying to make it identical).

It's easy when you have a comparison to look at (the first *****y drawing of the subject) and then you can see the improvement in the next one. And then keep going with new ones until no improvements need to be made.

You're prob just one of those people that need to spend 10 thousand hours lmao.

Some people are just naturally good at certain things so they can cut that time in half.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.