The Student Room Group

[PLEASE VIEW AND REPLY] Can I do Dentistry with my grades?

Hi. I'm currently in my first year of college and I want to do Dentistry at degree level when the time comes. However, I've seen the GCSE requirements for dentistry at universities like Manchester and Birmingham which require 6 A* or 5 A* grades. I didn't get any A* grades in my GCSEs. I got 3 A grades and Bs in every other subject. My A grades were in Additional Science, English Lit, and English Lang. I'm determined and aiming for A grades in my A Levels - Biology, Chemistry, Psychology - but just worried that my GCSE grades will be the reason I won't get into a good university to do dentistry. By the time I apply to universities, I will have experience at a hospital and shadowing at a dentistry and a doctor's surgery under my belt - if that helps. So, do you think I can get in with my GCSE grades or do you know any people who got in with a similar situation to mine?
check for universities that don't have any gcse requirements - there are quite a few however for medicine/dentistry they tend to value gcse grades a whole lot more than other subjects. gcse grades tend to indicate how well a student will do at a level, eg if you're getting B grades at gcse you might struggle at a levels. you could try emailing the admissions offices in some universities, and make sure you get those A grades, good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest