Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help! Asia! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Need help, i want to travel to South East Asia with the gf during summer, tons I want to see but I've never been to Asia before and I only have 2 weeks and a budget of about £1500 each, is there anything or anywhere someone would recommend?

I understand I can't see a lot of countries in 2 weeks and it's a bit silly to spend majority of my time travelling. Any tips appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Don't be shy now

ReputationRep:
    North Korea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That'sGreat)
    North Korea
    Apu nahama... :Thank you, come again

ReputationRep:
    So I've travelled a lot there, having done both the nicer hotel travelling as well as backpacking etc. What kind of stuff do you want to see? What are your interests? What's the main focus of your trip? Do you like your comforts or are you open to lower standards of living? Any new experiences you really want to have?

ReputationRep:
    Thailand or Vietnam is a good idea! The expense for traveling in Vietnam is cheaper than Thailand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    So I've travelled a lot there, having done both the nicer hotel travelling as well as backpacking etc. What kind of stuff do you want to see? What are your interests? What's the main focus of your trip? Do you like your comforts or are you open to lower standards of living? Any new experiences you really want to have?
    (Original post by Brayden Lyle)
    Thailand or Vietnam is a good idea! The expense for traveling in Vietnam is cheaper than Thailand.
    I'm looking at Vietnam,

sorry for late response, had to ask the gf what she's thinking and forgot to reply but I'm mostly looking for some culture, definitely some sights. I prefer comforts but lower standard of living is something I'm also used to

ReputationRep:
    2 weeks isn't much time but your budget is more than enough.

I would stick to one country, either Vietnam travel from Ho Chi Minh City to Hanoi or the other way and stop off on the way.

Or Thailand, spend a week up North then a week exploring the islands.

ReputationRep:
    Your budget is fine, as it's cheap over there, especially if you don't mind going in hostels. 2 weeks however is slim, so better to stick to one country. Thailand and Vietnam were the cheapest I found, but even in 2 weeks, you're never going to get everything done.

For Thailand, you could do a couple of days in Bangkok seeing the temples, floating market, then get a flight down to Krabi (around £10 if you book a month or so in advance). Then get the boat across to the island Phi Phi for a few days. Go on a boat trip, snorkelling etc, see Maya Bay (where The Beach was filmed) and Monkey island. Go to Phi Phi viewpoint (worth it at sunset). Then you could get the boat to Phuket, spend a couple of days there. See the Big Buddha, go for drinks on Bangla Road, chill at the beach. Then you can either get a flight back to Bangkok from Phuket airport if you run out of time, or head up to Chiang Mai for a few days. A lot of elephant sanctuaries etc in the north, which are popular. If you book the inner Thailand flights well in advance, you can get them for around £10, so pretty cheap. They can go up to over £100 if you leave it until last minute.

Hopefully, that gives you some ideas !

ReputationRep:
    India's a really great place too with LOADS to see... It's not exactly South East Asia though. But if you're interested in India, I'd be happy to help. (I live in India)

ReputationRep:
    Indonesia has a great mixture of historical sites, diverse cultures, and interesting foods. But plenty of other SEA countries have those things too lol. If you're adventurous in the sense that you want to explore a tropical rain-forest or smth like that, Indonesia is the place for you.

ReputationRep:
    Singapore 100%

(Original post by Nikita Verma)
    India's a really great place too with LOADS to see... It's not exactly South East Asia though. But if you're interested in India, I'd be happy to help. (I live in India)
    India is disgusting and not even in SEA remove yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Palmyra)
    Singapore 100%

Whoa excuse me...watch what you call disgusting. You have no idea what India is so there's no need to poison the minds of others.

ReputationRep:
    Whoa excuse me...watch what you call disgusting. You have no idea what India is so there's no need to poison the minds of others.
    Everyone knows India is a literal shithole who are you trying to kid

ReputationRep:
    Go to Nam or the Philippines you'll get tonnes of pussy and there are still areas of cultural interest. Plus it's cheap.

Singapore 100%

This would work if it were a career advice thread. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    India is disgusting
    QFT.

ReputationRep:
    india is an open toilet

poo in loo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coupdetat/-)
    india is an open toilet

poo in loo
    Everyone knows India is a literal shithole who are you trying to kid
    I feel so sorry for you guys. Clearly you live in your own delusional, narrow-minded, pathetic little world where you're so immature that you generalise an entire country. For your own sake, grow up. Are you so negative and eager to pick a fight because you have nothing else to do in life? Or are you just jealous?

For your information, the country that you're so openly badmouthing is the land of the Taj Mahal- one of the seven wonders of the world. It is a land that has been fought over for its spices and treasures. It is a land so rich in tradition, ideologies and culture that the Western world still looks at it for inspiration be it yoga, Ayurveda or smart business moves.

I'm well aware that India is not perfect. No country is. There is room for improvement. But despite all its downfalls, India does not deserve to be criticised in the way that you have.

If India really is as terrible as you claim, why is it still one of the most sought after tourist destinations?

Oh and if you're about to Google some horrible facts about India to rebut this reply, remember...even the CEO of Google is INDIAN.

ReputationRep:
    I feel so sorry for you guys. Clearly you live in your own delusional, narrow-minded, pathetic little world where you're so immature that you generalise an entire country. For your own sake, grow up. Are you so negative and eager to pick a fight because you have nothing else to do in life? Or are you just jealous?

For your information, the country that you're so openly badmouthing is the land of the Taj Mahal- one of the seven wonders of the world. It is a land that has been fought over for its spices and treasures. It is a land so rich in tradition, ideologies and culture that the Western world still looks at it for inspiration be it yoga, Ayurveda or smart business moves.

I'm well aware that India is not perfect. No country is. There is room for improvement. But despite all its downfalls, India does not deserve to be criticised in the way that you have.

If India really is as terrible as you claim, why is it still one of the most sought after tourist destinations?

Oh and if you're about to Google some horrible facts about India to rebut this reply, remember...even the CEO of Google is INDIAN.
    Some people are ignorant. They cannot be changed... they will never change. I have lived in India for 15 years before coming to UK and that was the best part of my life! (If anyone wants to say "why dont u go back then?", yes, i'm going back when I have enough savings in my bank account)
    The thing about open toilet is soo past it doesnt even exist in 98% of the country and i still dont know why tf these people are arguing about it.

If you want to complain about India, atleast visit there first and then open your f**king mouth.

ReputationRep:
    Deluded Indian nationalists are the funniest

let me guess, 30% of people working at NASA are Indian and India is great at cricket? :rofl:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.