Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Any good tips on revising for Alevel English Language!? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My mother tongue isn't English but I chose to do English language alevels because it seems like it gives me a wide choices of going to Universities.

I would like to ask if I want to get a B or above at the end of my AS, do I still have time or any special techniques on revising for Language!?

Thank you~ xxx
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kelseymansum)
    My mother tongue isn't English but I chose to do English language alevels because it seems like it gives me a wide choices of going to Universities.

I would like to ask if I want to get a B or above at the end of my AS, do I still have time or any special techniques on revising for Language!?

Thank you~ xxx
    Rhythmical studies and is good at Eng Lang, maybe they can help
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

Thank you~ xxx
    Hey, like Sean mentioned, I study English Language at A Level so should be able to help you out. You have more than enough time, most people start revising in April to be honest although I would never recommend it. What do you struggle on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhythmical)
    Hey, like Sean mentioned, I study English Language at A Level so should be able to help you out. You have more than enough time, most people start revising in April to be honest although I would never recommend it. What do you struggle on?

I started revising since christmas, I know all the theories and how to explain it , but Im just not sure how to put them into an essay.

I
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I started revising since christmas, I know all the theories and how to explain it , but Im just not sure how to put them into an essay.

I
    I used to have the same problem believe it or not. I think what helped me was mock papers but also, recognising what would come on the papers based on the theorists. So what I'd do was either find or make up an essay title and then write accordingly.

For example you could have a question on 'Why and how do men and women talk differently' and here you'd need to then back up your claims. I would start this sort of essay with something like this.

Men and women talk differently due to a number of contributing factors, but also rather, they both seek different things in conversations. Women tend to view validation quite highly, as demonstrated by Robin Lakoff when she discovered that women are prone to using tag questions and men use covert prestige, quite often looked down upon as opposed to overt prestige, shown by Jenny Cheshire in her theory...

It's always about the question, but also what you know and context (sometimes you may need to write based on a specific geographical location especially if the question asks you on the changing accent and dialect of Yorkshire for example or London)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhythmical)
    I used to have the same problem believe it or not. I think what helped me was mock papers but also, recognising what would come on the papers based on the theorists. So what I'd do was either find or make up an essay title and then write accordingly.

For example you could have a question on 'Why and how do men and women talk differently' and here you'd need to then back up your claims. I would start this sort of essay with something like this.

Men and women talk differently due to a number of contributing factors, but also rather, they both seek different things in conversations. Women tend to view validation quite highly, as demonstrated by Robin Lakoff when she discovered that women are prone to using tag questions and men use covert prestige, quite often looked down upon as opposed to overt prestige, shown by Jenny Cheshire in her theory...

It's always about the question, but also what you know and context (sometimes you may need to write based on a specific geographical location especially if the question asks you on the changing accent and dialect of Yorkshire for example or London)

Thank you and sorry for my late reply! I have probably scraped a U in my mocks but hopefully will show some improvements in my next mocks!!!! you advise is amazing!
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Thank you and sorry for my late reply! I have probably scraped a U in my mocks but hopefully will show some improvements in my next mocks!!!! you advise is amazing!
    It's ok, I'm glad to have helped and you can always send me a PM for any more advice!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.