Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Wanting to do A Level maths with C at gcse? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dafock)
    are ou talking about further maths? nothing to the scale your talking about comes around in normal maths unless its M2 i guess.
    no hahaha i´m doing normal edexcel maths; C1, C2, S1, C3, C4 and D1. I guess I´m just not good at them and find them boring. but many of my friends have also dropped. I just don´t believe someone who got a C at GCSE could cope with A-level maths. I´s so much more difficult, really

ReputationRep:
    I agree I tried a level with a c and failed big time.
    I'm doing it again after getting an a* at gcse, found c1 extremely easy, strugged with c2 and doing alright on fp1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cdg964103886)
    no hahaha i´m doing normal edexcel maths; C1, C2, S1, C3, C4 and D1. I guess I´m just not good at them and find them boring. but many of my friends have also dropped. I just don´t believe someone who got a C at GCSE could cope with A-level maths. I´s so much more difficult, really
    Oh yeah i agree, i think i had 24 people in my AS maths... now there's 5 of us :/

ReputationRep:
    I got a B at GCSE maths, and my maths teacher (who was also head of the department) took a chance on me because I really wanted it, and was performing well to GCSE level.

But, I failed... just like half of my class did, and ending up dropping it.

That doesn't mean to say that you will fail -- but be sure that you are able and willing to commit fully to the workload, completing all the relevant exercises and most definitely asking for help when it gets hard (believe me it does).

Whatever you do, consider the impact of choosing maths over another subject and the types of grades you will get, future university applications and your overall happiness. Good luck
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Dafock)
    Oh yeah i agree, i think i had 24 people in my AS maths... now there's 5 of us :/
    Blimey! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotNotBatman)
    This is quite old, but for students who achieved grade C in GCSE maths, at A level the results were
    A* - 1%
    A - 4%
    B - 10%
    C - 21%
    D - 27%
    E - 24%
    U -12%

The last bit is not true, the majority of people who get a B at GCSE pass A level maths.
    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure those figures ignore the fact that a lot of those people will drop out before taking the A-level.

Pretty sure Mr M has commented (negatively) before about taking Maths A level without at least an A at GCSE.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure those figures ignore the fact that a lot of those people will drop out before taking the A-level.

Pretty sure Mr M has commented (negatively) before about taking Maths A level without at least an A at GCSE.
    Well it's all numbers now but anyone with a 4 or a 5 in maths who wants to continue to study maths should be steered towards one of the new Core Maths qualifications in my opinion. In the past, I'd have expected someone who attained a C at GCSE to get between 0% and 20% at AS level and then drop out. Now that we have a two year reformed linear A Level, I think providers would be doing a student operating at this level a great disservice to allow them on to the course.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in A2 maths at the moment and I'm going to give some truths about maths... C1, C2 and D1 are simple and you can pass them at a C without any revision whatsoever. C3 and C4 are much harder (imo) and are the reason why I would say don't do maths unless you have an A at GCSE.

AS would be easy do-able with a C at GCSE but A2 (for most people) is a damn sight harder and the reason why many colleges will not let you study maths with a C... at my college you must get a an A (if the course isn't full they accept a B) because A2 is difficult

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Well it's all numbers now but anyone with a 4 or a 5 in maths who wants to continue to study maths should be steered towards one of the new Core Maths qualifications in my opinion. In the past, I'd have expected someone who attained a C at GCSE to get between 0% and 20% at AS level and then drop out. Now that we have a two year reformed linear A Level, I think providers would be doing a student operating at this level a great disservice to allow them on to the course.
    I found a Cambridge Assessments document from 2010. Assuming I'm reading it right, the sobering statistics:

Of people with GCSE grade B who took the AS level, roughly 3/4 failed to even take the A-level.
    With a GCSE C,that rises to 6/7. [Last figure is really rough as it's based on 1 - 0.7%/0.1% and the percentages were only given to 1 dp]. Edit: I mean 1 - 0.1%/0.7% of course.

The actual dropout rate (including those who don't take the AS) is probably a lot higher.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I found a Cambridge Assessments document from 2010. Assuming I'm reading it right, the sobering statistics:

Of people with GCSE grade B who took the AS level, roughly 3/4 failed to even take the A-level.
    With a GCSE C,that rises to 6/7. [Last figure is really rough as it's based on 1 - 0.7%/0.1% and the percentages were only given to 1 dp].

The actual dropout rate (including those who don't take the AS) is probably a lot higher.
    That is much higher than I expected, since most people in my A level class got a B at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    If you really want to do maths alevel then DO IT! That C grade in gcse is telling you that u need to improve , so work even harder. Keep on solving problems and learn from your mistakes. If i can do maths alevel then so can you!

Dont let statistics scare you aswell .
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

With a GCSE C,that rises to 6/7. [Last figure is really rough as it's based on 1 - 0.7%/0.1% and the percentages were only given to 1 dp]. Edit: I mean 1 - 0.1%/0.7% of course.

Yes you're right that most grade C candidates would not have even made it to the AS examination point. Dropping out a month or two into the course would be typical.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.